Harbor Freight Engine

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
wonder what it would take to run a small 1cyl diesel engine.. expensive but MPG would likely be double that of gas, and more torque to boot

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
diesels do shake a bit at idle/ lower RPM, but I don't suspect a single cylinder would be any worse than a China 2 stroke...

sound real cool if there were an exhaust brake to aid in engine braking.... Exhaust brake in Semi terms is the " jake brake " and is what makes the chattery exhaust sound as many Semi's slow down

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Haven't seen one in a while but they used to make diesel model airplane engines. I had several. They were strong runners for their size with the only drawback being hard starting when cold. Wonder if they're still out there?
Tom

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
small diesel engines are made..somewhat hard to find the real small single cyl's but they do exist.. I'v seen them, physical size is no bigger than a 3.5 HP B&S engine but they require an external tank

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Wow.. I knew they weren't cheap but I thought they were under $1k... anyway, Hatz diesels were what I was thinking of, just couldn't think of the name at the time.. I remember dreaming about putting 1 in a go- kart I had 5-6 years ago.. but if you figure maintinance. diesels run forever and are more efficent

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 funny Matt. Got me wondering about this and I wont post links, but there are ways to convert a gas 4 smoke to diesel. Think I am gonna stick with propane conversion. Just so I can blow stuff and my self up cheaper, snork. (I am still looking for a small diesel though!)

I read a while back about diesel motorbikes. We have to ask eDJ. Any one seen him? been a while or have I just been missing his post's?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2 funny Matt. Got me wondering about this and I wont post links, but there are ways to convert a gas 4 smoke to diesel. Think I am gonna stick with propane conversion. Just so I can blow stuff and my self up cheaper, snork. (I am still looking for a small diesel though!)

I read a while back about diesel motorbikes. We have to ask eDJ. Any one seen him? been a while or have I just been missing his post's?
I haven't seen eDJ for a while either. The last I saw he was working on a front mounted freewheel to use as brakes. Maybe he's just been lurking and wating for the right time to pounce on us again with a great idea. Someone should PM him and see if he's still around.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
He really is a great "out side de box" thunker. That brake idea is awesome. If you see him Tom, ask why cats "don't know its not garbage" 2dang funny and eDJ made a Tshirt about it!
(I have to bump that thread. so funny)