Sizing again help

GoldenMotor.com

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Looks like a good choice. Have fun building it. I like that frame.
http://www.diamondback.com/2012-vital-2

Looking at a picture of the bike, I have a couple of concerns. 1) is there enough room between the tubes to mount the front mount? 2) it appears that the frame is 50 degree "V", and will need at least a front mount shim, or a custom front mount. Ideal "V" is 75 degrees. Just throwing my thoughts out there.
Yeah I know its the tilt thing I was worried about. I can shim it that would be best I think. But the screws do close around the front mount tight. Is that what you mean?

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
LOL I am doing this for the 1st time. Your going to have to clue me in. Are you saying I need a mount now? Im not laughing at you but at myself. Im totally stupid at this.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
LOL I am doing this for the 1st time. Your going to have to clue me in. Are you saying I need a mount now? Im not laughing at you but at myself. Im totally stupid at this.
It will be hard to make up the difference between 50 degrees and 75 with shims. You WILL HAVE to get a front mount of some sort, believe me.

Here are some tips on mounting... (46 photos)

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Yeah I see what you mean. This is what it looks like now screwed in. Scary looking?

You are very helpful...I appreciate it. Thanks so much. :)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have seen somewhere a small muffler clamp is used and is welded to a plate the fits the motor.
if i was to build another,i would use 2 clamps front and rear,i could shim or grind the clamp saddles as required to get the right angle.
but the tool i own make life easy for building stuff like this.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yeah I see what you mean. This is what it looks like now screwed in. Scary looking?
You are very helpful...I appreciate it. Thanks so much. :)
That may be one that you need to mount the engine by the front mount first, then look at what the rear needs. Without hands on, it's a tough call. Like said, most important in mounting is that the mounts are flush with the tubes, if not the chances of breaking the engine, or if lucky, snapping or striping the studs, increases.

Last edited: