4g trans belt pulley question

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I had no problem tig welding the bearing before I made my bearing delete. I just set it too 95 amps and piled in the welding rod to fill in the space between the bearings. Only thing I had happen is the bearing retainer caught on fire, but I left it in to keep the bearings spaced evenly.

ecain

Apr 30, 2012
michigan
I feel like he had other projects going and didn't feel like it. His reasoning for not welding it didn't sound good enough to me. I am going to get a new bearing and try a different place since I do have jb weld in the bearing and it will burn I guess

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
I think you should have been good with a 20 hour cure. A few things that could make the difference:
-JB weld (not JB quick, I'm pretty sure you used reg JB if you went with a 20 hour cure)
-Clean off all grease inside bearing with contact cleaner completely
-As an added step, one could 'rough' up the surface of both the inner and outer race that the JB weld is contacting. The first two that I did, I used JB quick and it did not hold up. The JB quick lost contact/grip on the inner race both times. The last three have all been with regular JB weld and have held up. I have been grooving the inner race with a grinder, making channels the same direction as the keyway to improve holding. I wasn't sure if was the grooves or the difference in JB welds that made it hold up, now I'm thinking it was the grooves. A proper weld would be better.

80, 90, and 100T solid pulleys were produced; check around with some of the vendors as they might have some available. They have the same I.D. as the bearing and will slide directly onto the shaft. We are currently out of stock and are expecting some around September.

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
Funny story:
I took out my failed one way bearing after my first 50 yard ride. The shields popped off fairly easy. I took off the plastic inner retainers and begin spraying out the bearing with brake cleaner to remove the grease. It was perfect. All clean and ready for JB weld.
Well.... I wasn't working over my work bench due to brake cleaner spray..... as I was walking back to work bench the inner race and all the bearing dropped out of the middle!!
If you've ever dropped ball bearing you know the bounce off the face of the earth! I literally only found 2.
Oh well. I have a call in for a replacement bearing. I'll JB weld that one and keep my 4G trans as a spare. I have a EZM due today in the mail.

ecain

Apr 30, 2012
michigan
I used brake cleaner to degrease the bearing and I was confident that there wasn't any grease left but I went ahead and ordered a new bearing from BE as I could not find any solid 80t pulleys or get a response from most vendors other than the two that are active on this forum. I figure I will get the bearing properly welded as long as I can find a welder who will help me out. Other than this issue, which has been a headache on its own, my cruiser has been a fun build! Looking forward to a few mods once I find good instruction on here. And these motors seem to be pretty decent. A little more power than I anticipated and they cruise nicely around 26-28mph