oil/fuel mix ? carb prob?

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
lots of dif. ideas on mix i have been running a 50:1 mix according to directions on package of the 2 cycle oil ive been using.havnt noticed any problems other then idle,one bike idles to high other wont hold idle,thought maybe the one that wont hold idle, carb air leak.but could this be result of the mix on the other?stock carbs one z-80 too high other pk 80 no idle,screw all the way in.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
fixed idle prob ,air leak, used o-ring, use on all my bikes now. wondering about octane running 16-1 mix 89 octane on starfire GT-2HO for break in.seems to run great. should i use higher or lower octane?

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
My recommendations

I suspected an air leak because i had to use black rtv sealent on my cns carb.

Anyway i use 91 octane (highest octane in california) with no problems.

My suggestion is to lean out your mix ratio to 25:1 for break in then 32:1 after break in with a synthetic oil from your dirtbike shop (Amsoil, Yamalube, Motul) and your engine should last a long time. Some people on here run 100:1 ratio without problems but i wouldnt reccommend it unless you wanna seize ur motor. Good luck.dance1

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
fixed idle prob ,air leak, used o-ring, use on all my bikes now. wondering about octane running 16-1 mix 89 octane on starfire GT-2HO for break in.seems to run great. should i use higher or lower octane?
16:1 is just TOO MUCH OIL and will cause you to have a lean fuel to air ratio. Run 32:1 or higher. The octane of your gas is not that important as these engines have a relatively low compression ratio and running regular gas is more than adequate. Any high octane gas is a waste of money.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
it makes me laugh to read about when someone uses high octane (91 or higher) withone of these china 2 strokes.
high octane gas is a waste of money when used in one of these low compression engines.
but if you're convinced that it runs better on 91 than it does on 87,,,then knock your socks off.
it's just wasted money going out the exhaust.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
figured 16-1 with the higher octane, only 89, would help compensate for being too lean,but pulled plug on occ starfire motor, after running for a while,just putting around,plug did look like may be running lean,will drain fuel and change mix to 32-1 and 87 octane. thanks for the input.