Found an old bike

GoldenMotor.com

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I was tooling around with the idea of turning this into another rat bike motorized but wanted to know what the heck it was before i even think of putting any powertools to it. If anybody could help ID this pile it would be greatly appretiated! The frame is unmarked and very unique, the frame bars kind of sweep to the back and turn into a luggage rack. The seat has been replaced with some cheapo, and i believe the bars are original.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't have a clue what it is, but I know I would grab it in a heartbeat. It is likely a classic of some kind. I'm thinking WWII era or very early fifties.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
any print readable on the chain guard?

a pic of the other side too see may help.

Measure Twice

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
definitely an early to mid 60's middle weight (possibly very late 50's, kind of jetson-ish) ... has some rollfast qualities, but the forks are all wrong... maybe a columbia? nice find! be sure to check that frame for cracks! the tubing was thinner on those middle weight bikes...

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I sort of remember the Roll Fast as I had one years ago. The thing I had not seen much any of is that two parallel bars that start at the stem and go past the seat tube to make sort of a rear luggage carrier platform. From the picture I cannot quite see if any sheet metal widens the area for a carrier but it could be added.

Maybe that specific is an indication that it is different than many other makes. I shall try to see if Google has a way to have a picture scanned to do the leg work, They already have put a self driving car that got the guy behind the driving wheel (but not touching pedals or wheel) to get the guy and passengers onto 101 North Highway Entrance near there headquarters. The thing on top (looks like the other thing they have for ground images for Google Earth) uses I think LIDAR. The crunched data in a computer on board to drives itself. You have the option to take over when you see fit though!

The DARPA Grand Challenge is no more, but why not have silicon do the driving? Too bad the Grand Challenge did not include two wheel vehicles, but a self balancing motorcycle was there attempted and also disqualified. It did not do too well, but hey get whatever that frame you got and get a working motorbike, and then you can start on building a reclining seat as you will be the rider, but not the operator! Jetson jet set:)

Measure Twice

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Ok, I ran all the research on this bike and it's a 59-62 Columbia firebolt! The frame is very well built with alot of heavy duty worksman bike qualities. It is heavy! I don't like the front forks because there's no truss rods, and they're cast iron so a hard beating could lead to cracking:/

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was gonna say columbia. i've seen a few of those before. kinda rare, but not worth a ton of money so motorizing it probably won't upset the purists.

i wouldn't worry about the forks unless there's obvious damage or rust eating through them. you can buy or make truss rods for it. i've done it on a bunch of my bikes.

that's a cool bike. i'd like to have one for myself...

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I proably should have said $1,999.00 that is what there asking.

Oops,

Measure Twice

PS

though go make a motor bike!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
There was one just like it at a auction sale, I let it go because some guy was going nutters saying it was "a prewar elgin bluejay" and ran the bids up toa bezerk price. I almost was to the point of teling him to shuddup and quit talking about what he did not know :)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There was one just like it at a auction sale, I let it go because some guy was going nutters saying it was "a prewar elgin bluejay" and ran the bids up toa bezerk price. I almost was to the point of teling him to shuddup and quit talking about what he did not know :)
Your right CCD as I had seen a Whizzer and the guy wanted like 5K for it and it was not known to be running. Heavy rust too, but that isn't so bad. Looked like all parts there, and touted a two cylinder opposed two stoke. It didn't sell even though there were bids matching something. I am not sure how all that stuff is done on bids that are done online, but it was a no sell.

If what you saw in person happening was not sold to that same guy and someone else bought it at a higher price than this guy you speak of may have been a spoof.

The guy paid a small sum to help the price go up. If he had to buy it, it would not been a real purchase just the motions. Probably illegal and definately without morals, but guess what?

Measure Twice

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290628216612+

Saw this Vintage 1963 Columbia Newsboy Special balloon tire bicycle bike red rat rod

Looks like what you have

hey they only want 1999 dollars for it

Measure Twice
That auction is from the Budget Bicycle Center in downtown Madison Wisconsin.

Budget Bicycle Center - Home page

It’s a huge new & used shop that’s located in four different buildings, one of which that could best be described as a small warehouse. And it’s packed wall to wall and hanging from the ceiling!

Really a pretty amazing place to just to walk through, I was there about a year ago and the highlight for me was that they had a authentic bone shaker on display.

Unfortunately their antique & vintage bike prices are definitely on the unreasonably high side.

-Kirk

Last edited:

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
It was a heck of a mission and was up til 2, but I got it done. I still need to get some all white tires and re-upholster the seat with white leather. Still debating a motor though...