RIP CranRambler / new start on a BTR

GoldenMotor.com

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
Nirve B-1 btr inspired build underway

Well guys, it's been awhile. Had my "Oh-Thee Rambler" up and running the later portion of the summer, and life was sweet. On September 29th at 1am I was side-swiped by a Taxi in an intersection. Long story short, not much for personal injuries, but the bike was quite damaged and I've decided to rebuild from what I can salvage.

The new build will be board track inspired, and I'm starting with the Nirve B-1. I'll be using the same rims/wheels, seat, RT Carb, and engine parts (that i can) from the Rambler. Sticking with a flat-black (and rust colored primer). There will be a lot of bronze/copper detailing. And I'll be fabricating my own gas tank using dual 3"x10" Copper piping. I'll go into detail on that when I start down that road. Will also want to figure out a brighter than 9v headlight setup this time, as apparently cars don't see that at night. ugh.

Regardless, this is where I'll be updating as I do the build throughout the winter. Wish me luck!!

Last edited:

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
and it begins! once the springer fork comes in, i'll start the painting process.

did i mention the "druid" ($100 bill) green version was $50 cheaper?

no?

cause i went with that one anyways!

Last edited:

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
yes yes. the rims and wheels cost me more than both these bikes combined. hah, thankfully they were not damaged in the accident as well. the seat is from ChoppersUS, but i think i'm going to have something better made up for a seat post. thinking of just going for one of these: Lay Back seat Posts

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
also picked up a Black and Decker rotary tool at Target yesterday for $20,
and two kits with all kinds of cutting, sanding and polishing attachments for another $15.

that's less than the base model Dremel! with no attachments. ha!

first thing i did was cut off the stock throttle grip to see if i can attach a 1" motorcycle grip.
yes and yes, so i bought myself some black aluminum/rubber grips off ebay!
$6 w/ free shipping from Hong Kong...
which means it'll be the middle of January when I see'm.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
lurker! your build was actually one of the builds that inspired me to go with this frame. beautiful beautiful bike. and that was your first build?! sheesh. either way, i'm surprised there isn't a lot more builds on here with this bike, but here we go! sadly i'm only recycling the engine from my first build (cran rambler / pictured above). but chances are i'll end up with something bigger in there by the end of summer if i don't get myself an ol' rusty pickup truck by spring.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
gas tanks! (phase one)

been working on my gas tank idea. pretty set on this design, but it'll take a bit of JBweld to seal it up and test it out. still need to come up with a method to mount 'em to the sides of the Nirve B1 frame (i have an idea i'll be testing). Also still need to come up with an air vent, i saw someone on here had a way they did it using the same garden hose caps i'm using, i'll just need to find his post again. these will be painted copper/bronze and i have 1/4" copper tubing i'll be using as well.

i just hope the gas will stay even between the two tanks, and flow from left to right where it'll be draining to the carb.

each individual tube is 2" x 12"(+caps).
did the math; together they will hold about 2.5 liters! crazy.

also started painting the frame, but the weather is not the best for spray painting on the porch, need to wait for less windy days.

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
NOOOOO!!! This is a terrible Idea. Before I knew how to weld I tried this. and failed. Most chemicals including gasoline will destroy pvc and abs plastics. It turns it in to a mush just like gas an styrofoam; over a period of about a month.

However there are some options for you.
1. Treat the inside with a fuel tank liner. However the fumes may also cause the pvc and abs to liquify. $50

2. Buy some 16g cold rolled steel. Cut to shape. Drill and mark all holes. then find some one to Weld it for you. Try a tech school or community college. $100+ depending on choice of materials and $10-16 per hr apx. 8 hrs.

Sorry for the dramatic NO! but I am anticipating the final product of this build I would hate to see you turn in to ghost rider.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
finally got some painting done.

had made myself a little wind-proof corner on the porch, but the crazy weather and 40+ mph gusts of late destroyed that for good, but at least i got the frame painted utilizing it.

so i set out to find a way to do the smaller parts inside without the fumes. rigged this up and it worked great.

so far, this is what i've got:

also started JBwelding the PVC and brass fittings together. will continue with that tomorrow.
looking into getting some Kreem Tank Liner, but not really set on it. that's another $30 i shouldn't spend yet.

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
She is looking good! I like the brown color a lot. The fore and aft position of the seat looks good but it seems very tall and out of place. If I were you I would take a rotary tool and chop the seat tube to about .5" tall then make a slit in the back of it like the original setup. The seat post clamp will cover where you cut so you wont even have to repaint it. It would be really cool if you could get the rear tire to ride between the rear springs on that seat. Just a friendly suggestion for you to consider.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
yes! i do plan on chopping the seat tube down, was going to wait til i had the tires on to see my limit, just in case. also, since i had this seat on my other bike, i know with the tires i'm running (about 2.25" wide) don't fit between the springs of the seat. and the way it's all held together, i can't really bend'm any wider. but yes, good idea on the seat post! i was thinking about it all day.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
also i've been searching on here, and i know i've seen people do things all sorts of different ways. but which part of my fork should i secure my drum brake arm to?