Any CB Radio Users?

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Back in the early 70's I got into CB radio. Then when the CB craze hit I got out because of all the garbage. At that time I was using a Browning Eagle on base running into stacked V Quads by Wilson. They sat on a 50' tower. It really worked great!

Now I'm back into CB again. I have a Galaxy DX-2547 going to an IMax 2000 on a 30' tower. The radio has been worked on a little so that I cover almost the entire 11 meter band. My amp puts out 550 watts. I use a studio quality commercial microphone feeding into a recording studio quality microphone preamplifier.

I pretty much stay up above channel 40 on LSB. I have talked all over North America, some Central and South America, Scotland, Ireland, England and a couple of countries on the European mainland.

So, I was wondering if anyone else on here uses CB Radio?

Terry

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ya Iam into it but my radio only puts out 100 watt max. Iam putting a 100 watt gen on my bike does that give you an idea what Iam planing? (wink)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
A 100 watt generator? Any pictures of what it looks like? Ya, I can see a 102" whip mounted on the back of your bike in the future! Can you say mobile skip? I never thought about doing that. I have a 100 watt bilateral amp that is just setting around doing nothing. Hmm, great idea you have there!

Terry

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ya I can take some pics later when I get to the shop I work out of. I already have a mount brazed in place. I need to finish the pulleys and make a battery charger/regulator circuit. Looking for charger/reg chip as we speak. Not sure what battery Ill use but probably a small moped battery. If you look at my 6.5 hp on a bike thread you can see one of the places I plan to skip at. (over 10,000 foot mountion side lol) I think I might get my signal out even with only 100 watts.

Last edited:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
By the way my plan has been building a moble radio bike from the start of my motorized bike dreams. (from the age of 10 lol) I might even try it with one of my ham rigs if I can figure out a a way to mount one? also need to get a dash designed for the controls.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The CB days.............ah yes. 1974/5 or there about. There was a whole community of us in Miami. Many of us had jobs that put us on the road around town during the day.
Every Wednesday afternoon, around four we'd meet at a pizza place that had a big tree shaded parking lot.
It was always fun to put faces to the voices you talked to every day.

Some of the names I still remember.
Drain Surgeon: A plumber
Toe Head: He had blonde hair.
THC: His wife. (Toe Head's Chick)
Miss Behave: My ex wife. (she ran a 250W Bi-amp)
And about fifty more that I can't remember.
Lots of fun for a while. Thanks for the memories.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
There are still too many garbage mouths on AM. That is why I stay on SSB above 40. It isn't too bad up there and its almost all SSB users. When the skip is running 27.555 is the international call channel and usually has some interesting contacts.

I met my 1st. wife through CB back in the day. That was in 1969. She was still in high school and I had just gotten out of the army.

Terry

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
yea fulltimer.
i don't know anything about CBs.
i do know that if you are using a 100watt amp that you need more than 100watt of energy to power it.
i would expect anywhere from 50-85% efficiency.
then if you need to transform the power, you need to take that into consideration. so a 100watt generator would be good for aabout a 50watt amp.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
what would be good for power & a side effect for filtering the noise through the power is to use a large capacitor used for car audio.
we use to call them "stiffening caps". they stabilise the voltage.
use a large resister to charge a large cap if it is empty.
or if discharging it.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I used to do delivery work late at night (independent driver delivering expedited mail to the airport for the Post Office) so I used to run a CB just in case the cell phone was out of range (back in the day coverage was not 100%)...

I ran a Aztec Power mic into Galaxy DX 99 w/ a 250W amp to a Wilson 5000 Antenna

I sometimes miss the late night drives....

Andrew

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Looks good so far! Where are you going to mount the battery? Have you decided on a battery size and type yet? I wonder if you will pick up any ignition noise?

Terry

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Iam going to use a bike rack a water proof metal box and a moped battery. I will soon find out about the noise. Ill filter the power for sure.