What I don't Know

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
what I do know first:
I know I can convert a 20 bike to a comfortable platform to motorize easily.
I know I can stabilize it by attaching 16" wheels from a donar bike to a trailer platform then attaching two tongues one to each side\ of the rear wheel axle on the bike to create an extension to the bike frame as it were.

Now for what I think

I think i can mount my ilfan engine to the trailer bed
I think I can attach a centrifugal clutch to the engine
I think i can weld a chain ring to the free wheel of the 16" wheel of the trailer
I think I can run a simple bicycle chain between the engine and the trailer wheel

so the question for you guys is will it work and where do I get a centrifugal clutch that will bolt up to the ilfan 2.5 hp engine\\ Thanks this will have to wait until my collar bone heals a bit more but im curious if it will work

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The main problem will be the ratio for a direct wheel drive, really should have a jackshaft, maybe you are planing this and just didnt mention it. I have welded a sprocket coaster brake sprocket before, you really have to center it well. The 5/8 clutch is no problem to find. Are your hitches strong enough to handle a push rather than pull load?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
My local NAPA store lets me pilfer arounf in his mower parts shelf. Lotse old stock stuff there with the old prices'

Yesterday I found a box of Maxtorque clutches in there,in 5/8 and 3/4 sizes. They were all chain drive type, and I favor belt primary for ease of maintenance and reliability, so I didn't bother to price them.

So Check yer old NAPA stores.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The same trailer frame I used as a pusher with an electric motor so it should be strong enough. One of the chain rings I have is 38 teeth and the clutches seem to have 11 teeth and with a 16" wheel do I need more teeth on the chain ring I have some larger ones if I do. I'm not looking for any speed over 25mph.

So do I really need a jack shaft.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think the only way to keep the speed down without a jackshaft is to use a sprocket (or pulley) about the same size as the wheel rim.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you can do it, why not drive a go kart or mini bike size wheel in the center of the trailer. They can run a direct drive, and it offers a more symetrical drive than the offset trailer wheel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I need the stability of a wide trailer to keep the bike upright. But you are right my last pusher had one wheel in line with the rear wheel of the bike. I really hadn't thought about the pusher pushing from one side. I wonder what would happen if the trailer was more of a side car configuration. the drive wheel directly behind the rear bike wheel, then a foot or so over to the traffic side a second wheel.'

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I didnt mean go to a single wheel, add it in the middle of the two trailer wheels if there is room. You can then direct drive with an easy to use cent. clutch. Since your are over the 3 wheel limit might as well have 5! lol

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been giving this some more thought and this is what I came up with. Im going to mount a clutch then a drive wheel of about eight inches onto the trailer, with the wheel pressed against the rear wheel of the bicycle. That should slip on the tire rather than burn up the clutch since the 2000 rpm clutch engage is a turn of 13mph and I can't pedal it that fast.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well i just measured the wheel i will probably use and it is6 inches. It looks like around 21mph at 5000 rpm

6" wheel. 45 tooth sprocket and 10 tooth clutch. if it ingages at 2000 rpm it is about 8 mph which is okay.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
it's a moot point for a while I have to have surgery on the collar bone after all. It is going to be a couple of months before I can build again. See yall then.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Ya know Deacon, The more I think about it a side car would work well for you and you could put it on any bike you want if it was designed right. All the best. You have a lot more miles to cover!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
i'm headed back to day surgery tomorrow. Gonna get a plate and screws. IT would be a good do it yourself project, but my brother isn't available,. So its back to the hospital for the repair. I;m looking forward to this collar bone stopping it;s moving around inside there, lol.

It will be nice to sleep a full night again, 'As it is now I can't roll over in the night so things begin to hurt a little and I have to get out of bed. Still i'm doing fine. found that a sling and pillow across my chest works wonders. I'm out of commission for 6 more weeks. not too bad considering I could be down for 6 months i was told.

Oh yeah I been thinking that I could weld the sprocket from a bike coaster wheel to a cheep 5/8 sprocket for the lifan motor then use the bub from a coaster wheel as a drive wheel. It would be a one to one gear ration and the hub would run about like 1.6 inch roller. I could mount the motor on the stabilizer and use a cable to do the lift clutch thing against the bike wheel. the weight distribution would be much better.than hanging it over a wheel.

Last edited: