1970 Schwinn Heavy Duty

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
LENNY THANKS FOR SHARING!! THAT FRAME FABRICATION GETS A FELLOWS JUICES FLOWING! MAKES ME WANT TO TAKE A CUP OF STARBUCKS AND GO BACK TO THE SHOP!! FOR A MINUTE THERE I THOUGHT YOU WAS WELDING WITH GOLD !!rotfl

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
After the third ride today I did not have to do the clutch clean and adjust. But the 4th ride was slipping clutch pretty soon and seems to just slip at the least acceleration. Why is this going slippery on me so easily?

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
This is a pic of the inside of the clutch cover and shows the screw is etching a pattern on the cover. I cut some relief with the Dremel Tool so it is barely touching now. I tried to screw the clutch in more and it would not go any tighter. Maybe I will trade the clutch out for another.

Attachments

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Yep.. That looks like it needs to go tighter.

Try this... adjust the clutch cable tighter using the adjustment (to get more throw on the clutch temporarily). Once its adjusted tight, Pull the clutch lever in and then try running the adjuster in another turn or so.

Hopefully that will help tighten it up a bit.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I fiddled around and won't tell you I hit the star nut to tighten farther but it did magically tighten more. I will ride some more tomorrow and hopefully it does not slip. I am amazed at how much more power this motor has than the Subaru EHO35.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Lenny - I had the same problem. The fix is to tighten the clutch with the star nut, it is in the middle of the clutch. The indicator is the marks in the cover the more you move the star nut out the less pressure you have to hold the clutch engaged. After you get the correct amount of pressure you will have to Adjust the clutch cable, you can use the handle to help run the star nut in. Pull the clutch handle in and it will let you move the star nut easily, then take up the slack in the cable. Have fun, Dave

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
The power is lacking somewhat, but I will use a shift kit to make it work at low and high speeds in its power band. The SBP people have not designed that kit yet but I will be looking at options.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Interesting, I have a little etching in my clutch cover too. Not nearly that much, but a little. I'll have to try adjusting the star nut.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Well i could not risk a commute today as the clutch was still slipping after tightening with needle nose plyers. I got the bike going after a few minutes but assumed that after 15 miles at 107 degrees I would have more oil on the clutch and a slipperier clutch that would not want to work. Yesterday I rode 10 miles and let it cool for 20 minutes then it would slip but after half mile of riding and popping the clutch I did get it going. Saved me a 10 mile peddal home but the clutch was not responding right as I rode home. It definately slips. I may change the clutch or I am not sure what? I have an 80 that I will try it's clutch if possible.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Trust me, scuff the **** out of it with 60 grit!!!
Everytime I ever did this to fix a slipping clutch, I never had a problem with it afterward!!!
Let me know how it worked.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
You don't have it tight enough yet. My plates are so shiny that I can see myself in it, it just needs to have the correct pressure to hold it together. Move the nut in more and then adj the cable. Have fun, Dave

PS: A motorcycle has a wet clutch, just an example.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I will do the sand trick tomorrow as I will not be able to tighten the clutch any more. If that fails I will replace the clutch completely. I will have 4 days to figure this out and start commuting next Wednesday.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Well it took me a few days to brave the 110 degree garage but today I got out there and did the 30 minute clutch job that included cleaning the pads for about the 7th time with brake cleaner and I sanded the clutch pressure plate with 60 grit paper and with a cross hatch. I even tightened it all up as tight as I could without my big hammer. I rode for a while and now cooled it down and it started up with no clutch slippage. Now I can try my 30 mile round trip commute. I will ride it for about 20 miles now just to be sure.