my first getting hit by a car

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm really glad you weren't hurt. (Not just saying that.) Some of us know a little bit about how bad it could be. I save my own story now for those who ask. There's some good advice back there, and all through the forum. Some of it can keep you a little safer. When I'm well mended enough, I will ride again. I would say "Don't let that kind of thing discourage you." but if the drivers where you live are just too scary, I would never think less of you if you chose not to ride anymore.
I'm asking; pls tell.

Cagers are indignant that we're in their way. Then they're amazed we're keeping up with the flow and they can't pass us. Then they're envious, when caught in gridlock and they see us jump the curb and SLOWLY mosey down to a clear place in traffic.

My last city block going home is a one-way street. I idle the engine and ride SLOWLY like a pedal bike. I also yield to all bikes and pedestrians.

With great power comes great responsibility.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I was hit by a car a while ago, it struck from left in a crossing, my bike was also hit together with me. While I chose to go deep into windshields the bike decided to study heavy weight pressure. The bike then went under the car and died. The driver was an old woman, 70 years old.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I was hit by a car a while ago, it struck from left in a crossing, my bike was also hit together with me. While I chose to go deep into windshields the bike decided to study heavy weight pressure. The bike then went under the car and died. The driver was an old woman, 70 years old.
When crossing, "Always look eye.", as Mr. Miyagi would say.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Glad you're ok, Mekano. Hope she bought you a new bike and paid for your medical care. If she is found incompetant, I hope she is gracefully disallowed from driving further.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm asking; pls tell...

Not very much to tell. I was traveling to work, the morning sun upon me, in a bright yellow shirt, headlight on (always), sundry reflectors. I was proceeding through a green light which was still green as I entered the intersection.

The truck in the oncoming lane was slowing down SLIGHTLY. I misinterpreted that action to mean that he intended to stop, as he SHOULD have, to yield right of way. Instead, he made his turn suddenly and broadsided my left flank hard enough to toss me down the street a short distance as well as bend and crack a steel bike frame. I had to tolerate bad hospital food for over a week (pretty good care though) and bedrest for two more. THen crutches for a long while.

Goatherder has a point. Nearly all accidents are preventable. This guy said he didn't see me, despite my best efforts. I think even a neon sign wouldn't have helped me much that time. But I have learned that there are places and times where the traffic is just crazy. I may have the right to ride on whatever street I wish, but that doesn't mean I'll have time to explain that right to the drivers who are about to run me down. I'm not crazy, I'll just be more careful where I ride from now on.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
My only instance of getting dumped by a squirrel cage in 40 years of riding was when I was 25 and riding a Triumph Bonneville and came on a blind corner with had a green light. About halfway through I saw a Buick that obviously wasn't going to be stopping for the red light so I nailed it to not be T-Boned. I really thought I had made it but the old bat driving the Buick caught about 2 inches of my back tire catapulting me head and shoulder first into a telephone pole. My buddy that was riding with me said it was a perfect Wiley Coyote sticking and sliding down the pole. After 3 months of recuperation 5 surgeries to implant plastic in my jaw and new screw in teeth not to mention rebuilding my shoulder I was able to leave the hospital. I still ride and wear a helmet but am scared sh**less of blind corners and old women in Buicks.

I'm Glad each of you walked away and can tell the tale to perhaps belp others avoid a painful lesson.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
damm that is a crazy story

i feel for yah man ive never been struck by a cager yet but have had some close calls and hearing a story like that makes me cautious

glad both you guys are alright but still sucks huh

mark did u have any long term damage like trouble walking or with your shoulder

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
damm that is a crazy story
mark did u have any long term damage like trouble walking or with your shoulder
The shoulder aches a little and about a year ago I had what I thought was a boil on my collar bone aching but it turned out to be a piece of nail and some wood splinters that had been in the wound they missed that finally worked it way to the skin. Generally I have been fortunate that it didn't mess me up worse but since getting older it does remind me from time to time that I had a fight with a telephone pole and lost.
.duh.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
wow man that is crazy alright

my shoulder hurts two years after being arrested by the police they ****ed my **** up man every time i move it it makes a popping noise and doesnt have the range and motion it used too thats something i will remember in years to come

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I assume most people hate bicyclists/motor cyclists, but will restrain themselves from killing us as some sort of "courtesy". I assume most drivers are high as a kite on shrink drugs, pain pills, weed, speed, or alcohol, or some combination. I think that is why they always say they "didn't see them" when they collide with or wreck a bike.

People laugh at me sometimes for wearing a shiny full helmet, or a reflective vest or jacket, but I don't care. I laugh at them for being shallow, lazy, ingrates, who can't know the joys of my life, and who will probably envy me in when they are aged and unfulfilled.

Wongmart sells Dickeys brand construction shirts and vests, for $10-20. http://www.dickies.com/product/prod...845524441761466&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

Last edited:

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
happycheapskate: Last guys who mentioned something about my vest to me (I wear it at nighttime), I replyed "Its look like a dork, or look like a road pancake. Its not a tough choice" They shut right up.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea... one of my motorhead friends was over checkin' out my taddy project and he jokingly asked if I was gonna put one of those "dorky lookin' orange flags on it" - assuming ofc that I was gonna laugh & scoff...

...but to his surprise I said "yea, goofy lookin' it may be, but I'm defo gettin' one" and he said "orly? why?" - to which I pointed out that although it's hard to tell ATM 'cause it's up on the workbench, it's actually so low that he'd not be able to see it over the hood of his car & given how he drives that's bad juju man and in fact taddys are kinda goofy lookin' anyway :p

Not impressed w/the slander, he still conceded the point lol

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
I have not been hit on a MB. But in '94 I was actively racing Mountain Bikes as a hobby. I did not own a car, so all I did was ride. One day I was on a sidewalk, which was the bike lane, and a car came out between two buildings, where his stop sign was. Both of us following the guidlines provided. He was not moving very fast, I was doing about 20, but his grill trapped my right foot on the peddle, and I was stuck. I tried to dive and roll out of it, but since my foot was stuck, I ended up on my left shoulder like a sack of potatos!!! (thats the sound my body made when I hit the ground) Dislocated shoulder, torn rotator cuff, and tons of pain. But I was not mad at the driver,, it really was not his fault.
Now here in 2010, Yesterday, I just went to the Radioligy department to have an MRI done on my left shoulder. Looking like I might have to have a second surgery after 16years.
Thinking about my arm in a sling lastnight, I was looking at my MB, and thought about making a remote clutch setup, so I could continue riding..............Maby not such a good Idea,, unless to just cruise the nieborhood.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It never pays to roll the dice with something that outweighs you by thousands of pounds. Maybe you roll a winner but the cost, if it comes up c r a p s, is mighty steep. I always try to remember, the car always has the right of way and I never expect a driver to do the expected.

Glad you healed up.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I would never admit guilt in any car or bike incident. What if the other party was partly responsible, or deliberately gunning for you? You would have let them off the hook! AND, you might owe THEM damages!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You never admit guilt in any accident. Explain what happened to your insurance company, and let them sort it out with the other party's insurance company.
This day and age ya gotta be darn careful what ya say to an Insurance company as well. They are good at squirming out of things . I know from experience.

That's where we get all our lawyer Attorney at law advertisements..

Last edited:

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It was both our fault and we both new it. He did not come to a complete stop, but I saw him comming I could easily avoided him but made the mistake of being careless Im sure that he didnt,t have a chance -there I was and he did respond very qickly and act as avoiding further damage. the rear wheel of my bike was almost folde over like a sanwich but his truck was also minnorly dammaged -some kind of peice of plastic.
OMG, are you insane! What were you thinking, taking responsibility for your own actions. What would happen if everybody followed your example? We have problems enough with unemployment without putting 2/3 of the lawyers on the street!

PS

Keep it up Blakenstein, it's dam refreshing.