Frame Modification of Worksman

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I have a Worksman Industrial Cruiser and plan on modifying the frame with a drop loop. I have been watching all the discussion of this for quite some time. It seems that most who have done this have lengthened the two top tubes around four inches or so. I would like to know what the reasoning is for this. Is it aesthetic or is there a structural reason? The reason I want the drop loop is to give me vertical clearance for whatever motor I decide on. While I have had good results with my 2stroke I am thinking of trying a 4 stroke on this build. Thanks in advance for any opinion. Dan

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
Dan,
I am attaching before and after photos of my Board Track Replica project that uses the Worksman frame. Like you, I wanted the increased vertical clearance that comes from a dropped loop frame. Look closely at the tube that runs from the steering tube to the bottom bracket...in order to insert a drop loop the top bars have to be lengthened. I sliced the top bars and inserted a 4-1/2" insert in both, keeping the original steering tube angle of rake. But...I still need more vertical clearance, since I am trying to convert my HT engine to a more upright stance. Now, the spark plug barely clears the bottom bar. I am considering going back and cutting the frame again, lowering the drop loop portion even lower. If I do, I will probably go with a 4-cycle Briggs I have sitting around. I am still not satisfied the look, plan to keep changing. The pictures show the Worksman frame before I started cutting, and the result after adding the drop loop.
Tom Bartlett

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Tinsmith, reasons for modifying Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser's to a Drop Loop frame are aesthetic and to increase area needed to mount engine.
"Quoted Rick Gilmore aka forum member "Cinnelliphyle
When people say they want or are building a Board Tracker or Board Track Racer, I immediately ask myself do they even know what a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer is!

Or are they just flipping the handlebars and adding vintage style forks & seat or are they just trying to capture the Look of an original Pre-Post World War I Cyclone, Harley, or Indian, to name a few.

Just my opinion if you want a real tribute period correct Look of an original Board Tracker / Board Track Racer, then you need to know the type of frame they used which of course was a Drop Loop Frame, again if you are trying to get the look of an original one it has to be a Drop Loop Frame.

Flipping handlebars, hairpin seat and vintage style front forks, and calling it a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer, is ok if thats what you want to do or call it, but without the Drop Loop it will not have the Look of a Pre & Post World War I style build.

Rick Gilmore produce's some very accurate Tribute Board Track Racer's using Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser's his Tribute Board Track Racer's are not Replica's just very close in the way the Originals Looked.

I would say that someone claiming to produce a replica here in the forum is off his rocker, replica's are very difficult to produce. "End Quote"

Guy's good luck with your builds be they a Vintage style Road Cruiser or a Tribute Board Track Racer.

"QUOTED POST FROM CINELLIPHYLE,
The Original Artist who first designed the Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's is Rick Gilmore, he is also a forum member here his screen name is cinelliphyle!

You can reach him at his website at VROOMART.COM or Private Message him here thru the forum.

His phone is Rick...
253=826-0252
[email protected]

Here is a lil more information from Rick about his Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's: This from Rick's May 04 2010 Post

05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
cinelliphyle aka Rick

"Quoted Rick Gilmore aka Cinnelliphyle,
Custom Harley Davidson Track Board Bike - Should I buy it?
Just pointing out that this bike and several others attributed to other builders were build in whole or part by me.

I had another person bend the tubes and do the welding, but the plan, layout, dimensions, modifications, many of the tanks, and the details and paint in many cases were by me.

This particular bike ( The Period Correct Worksman Tribute Harley Board Track Racer owned by SeattleRider ),has a fiberglass tank that was designed to conceal a PVC functional tank but can be made to serve as a tank itself as well.

I have had very good luck with glass tanks and have a mold for the Indian/Cyclone version.

I can and will make custom tanks for others on request. Or I can pro-vice a raw version of the mold if that is what you need. These are not expensive and can be easily modified to suit variations in frame tube arrangement and length.

I have been working with a very qualified metal worker who shares my views on proper lines and general look of these machines and is ready and willing to produce one off frames.

Although they will be second to none in quality they will not be cheap, they may at some point be less expensive than now, but not until we have worked out some production details.

Pre orders and deposits will be accepted on an individual basis after discussion of details, payment method, extent of production level, etc.

Again these frames will be of the absolute best quality.

This metal worker is the best there is and will settle for only perfect product!

I will only be involved if the bikes have the look that clearly says I know what an Original Board Track Bike looks like. .

Far too many people out there putting two strokes in Schwinn and Huffy cruisers with whizzer style tanks and have the nerve to suggest that they are "BoardTrackers or Board Track Replicas" !
Rick
[email protected]
" End Quote ".

There you go all the info you need to contact the Original designer of his version of a Period Correct look or essence / style Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer!!!!

See these related Post's below just click on these Links to see Original Post:

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/history-original-board-track-racers-18232.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/custom-harley-davidson-track-board-bike-11480.html

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9782

Peace Crazy Horse.

Real Board Track Racer's

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Just wanted to say your builds are fantastic, and hopefully give everyone a better understanding of why we modify our Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser's with a Looped Down Tube.

Those of us who know the a lot about the history of the original frame & build style of the original companies that produced these bikes are hardcore purists, who want our Tribute Board Tracker's / Tribute Board Track Racer's to resemble as closely as possible to an original Cyclone, Harley, Indian,
Excelsior-Henderson.

Judge for yourselves Ricks period correct Look Tribute Board Track Racer's are strikingly correct for being motor assisted bicycles.

Hope this will clarify what a period correct look or essence / style for a Bicycle Tribute Board Track Racer can be, as designed by Rick Gilmore aka forum member "Cinnelliphyle".

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Well looking at the pictures of the modified worksman frames they are still way of in accuracy.. there is no bend in the down tube above the drop loop and the setastays are straight on the real BTR frames.. Nit picking yes, but as i see it those frames are nice but still not more "period correct" than a scwinn with flipped handlebars and a inframe tank etc, well maybe a little but not much.. What you end up with is not something period correct either way you choose to build your board tracker, just a bicycle with a engine on it.. :)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Well looking at the pictures of the modified worksman frames they are still way of in accuracy.. there is no bend in the down tube above the drop loop and the setastays are straight on the real BTR frames.. Nit picking yes, but as i see it those frames are nice but still not more "period correct" than a scwinn with flipped handlebars and a inframe tank etc, well maybe a little but not much.. What you end up with is not something period correct either way you choose to build your board tracker, just a bicycle with a engine on it.. :)
K-dregg, I agree with all the above in your reply to this Post it's just my opinion that these Tribute Board Track Racer's do with all respect resemble the originals!

Rick, ( CINELLIPHYLE ), has in my opinion tried to capture the essence & style of the originals in his versions of Tribute Motorized Bicycle Board Track Racer's and Tribute Road Cruiser Style Builds.

Here's Ricks version of a Tribute 1912 Harley Road Cruiser Style Build:

This Build in Pic above is built using the Worksman Industrial M2600 or Tall Cruiser as in pic below:

Here's Rick's version of 1914 Blue Indian & Cyclone in shipping Crate in Background:

Indian waiting for 2-stroke engine:

Peace Crazy Horse.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Frame Modification of Worksman warning for the wannabes

While I had no problem with my short Husky bike, I have had nothing but problems with the chain on the lengthened loop frame bike and it is taking all the joy from the project. I have spent hours and hours aligning and tightening the chain and have added an idler sprocket but the chain keeps quickly riding off the bike when there is load put on it.

I had planned to spend many hours really making it nice, even made some great handlebars for it but am ready to chop it up I am so unhappy about the chain issue.

I am using 41 chain which was recommended but I am not so sure now. it seems to want to twist with the length and I wonder if that is the issue.

I am not expert but had gotten encouraged by my husky bike and thought I could pull off an extended frame...but I am getting sick at looking at it. It rides ok as a pedaler but that is not why it exists.

Very, very troubled. I have reached a point at being so angry at it I don't even want to try to run it again, If that damn chain comes off, I might just leave it in GD street.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hoodoo,
Sounds like you have an alignment issue. We have been running a 4" stretch on the INB frame with no problems whatsoever. We carefully aligned the frame and all components (engine, idler, etc.) using a frame jig. You may want to recheck alignment of all frame tubes, the engine and chain routing to verify there is no twist or misalignment. Good quality chain helps, too.
Good luck,
Pat

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,
Sounds like you have an alignment issue. We have been running a 4" stretch on the INB frame with no problems whatsoever. We carefully aligned the frame and all components (engine, idler, etc.) using a frame jig. You may want to recheck alignment of all frame tubes, the engine and chain routing to verify there is no twist or misalignment. Good quality chain helps, too.
Good luck,
Pat
My final adjustment may have worked, I finally decided to try one more time in the cold night and ran it down the hill and it started the engine quickly and the chain seemed happy, no noises or jerkiness. Bottom part of the chain now appears straight, that last whack with a rubber hammer on the idler sprocket might have gotten the geometry right. Of course the next problem is that I seem to have no throttle control as the engine started and ran even idled better than the other engine on the Husky (that is now running real good and is close to getting past break in) but no control....this is not a major issue I am sure, just part of the kinks....all is suddenly right with the world and I can do more fun stuff again. Of course I will be in anxiety over the chain until I can get a few miles on it. I;ll send pics when I get the oil tank and "new" old style long handlebars on so I can get the "sit right" and markings put on the current tank cover that looks ok but is only
This bike has been extended 5" but with springer forks the wheel separation is now seven inches. Looks real cool sitting there. I do not have the expertise to build a metal tank but the wooden over seems to turn enough heads for now. I lengthened the pedal chain with 41 half links on 415 chain which allowed me more room to tighten with with the extended 41 chain I put together, I was using a rather shorter aftermarket sprocket hangar. I don't have any chain expertise, it's a pain also. You guessed it I am into self torture. Building this bike has been more an exercise of WILL rather than ability.

Al

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Right these are just what you say, but with a little imagination they are much more. I feel for those who just don't get it (not your fault-it's either in you or it ain't). You are bringing up what we in living history circles call the "thread counter" argument...the argument that says if you can't do it perfectly it isn't good enough. Most of us in living history don't like thread counters because they are fun suckers and if we listened to them NOTHING would get done.
These are motorized bikes and quite fun and really add to historical ambiance in a living history mode, they are not intended to "copy" the early motorcycles. I can guarantee you that even if you get all the angles and shape right they are still not robust enough to mimic the heavier frames of the early motorcycles and their long stroke engines. I run my little Husky without a long frame and am having a blast and it is useful for liaison at our airfield and it is also an asset to our history set up as I built it with hanging tank and white tires. We also have a real running 1920 Triumph H single and a 1917 Indian with sidecar and frankly the vintage style tribute motorized bike fits right in. I work with several living history groups that do fine presentations and they love the husky and now want to make their own, and they are wild about the looks of the loop frame bike. Either one gets or doesn't get it, but those of us that do know exactly where we are coming from on these.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
My post was a response to Crazyhorse's post.. Not intended as as stab at your build or any others.. And i know a lot about thread counters and stich nazi's and would hate to come across as one of those..

From Crazy Horse's post

"When people say they want or are building a Board Tracker or Board Track Racer, I immediately ask myself do they even know what a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer is!

Or are they just flipping the handlebars and adding vintage style forks & seat or are they just trying to capture the Look of an original Pre-Post World War I Cyclone, Harley, or Indian, to name a few.

Just my opinion if you want a real tribute period correct Look of an original Board Tracker / Board Track Racer, then you need to know the type of frame they used which of course was a Drop Loop Frame, again if you are trying to get the look of an original one it has to be a Drop Loop Frame.

Flipping handlebars, hairpin seat and vintage style front forks, and calling it a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer, is ok if thats what you want to do or call it, but without the Drop Loop it will not have the Look of a Pre & Post World War I style build.

Rick Gilmore produce's some very accurate Tribute Board Track Racer's using Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser's his Tribute Board Track Racer's are not Replica's just very close in the way the Originals Looked.

I would say that someone claiming to produce a replica here in the forum is off his rocker, replica's are very difficult to produce"

I didnt think that the bikes in the picures he posted was that much more accurate or "period correct" than any other build on this forum,
and just pointed out that some of the frames in the pictures lacked certain design features that the original board trackers had..

From my response..

"but as i see it those frames are nice but still not more "period correct" than a scwinn with flipped handlebars and a inframe tank etc, well maybe a little but not much.. "

So i'm actully sort of defending the not so accurate builds..?

Hope that clears things up for you!

Cheers Dregg

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
My post was a response to Crazyhorse's post.. Not intended as as stab at your build or any others.. And i know a lot about thread counters and stich nazi's and would hate to come across as one of those..

From Crazy Horse's post,
"Quoting Rick Gilmore's post"

"When people say they want or are building a Board Tracker or Board Track Racer, I immediately ask myself do they even know what a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer is!

Flipping handlebars, hairpin seat and vintage style front forks, and calling it a Board Tracker / Board Track Racer, is ok if that's what you want to do or call it, but without the Drop Loop it will not have the Look of a Pre & Post World War I style build.

I would say that someone claiming to produce a replica here in the forum is off his rocker, replica's are very difficult to produce"

I didn't think that the bikes in the pictures he posted was that much more accurate or "period correct" than any other build on this forum,
and just pointed out that some of the frames in the pictures lacked certain design features that the original board trackers had..

From my response..

"but as i see it those frames are nice but still not more "period correct" than a Schwinn with flipped handlebars and a in frame tank etc, well maybe a little but not much.. "

So i'm actually sort of defending the not so accurate builds..?

Hope that clears things up for you!

Cheers Dregg
Hey guy's my post was Quoted from Rick Gilmore's take on what we all want as quoted above by K-Dregg, and that is a period correct look for our builds capturing the essence of those produced long ago!

It's great to see that we have a forum member, that has come forward to produce drop loop framed Worksman INB, bikes which in my opinion captures 1. The essence and 2. The stretched frame allows for many the option of adding whatever style or type of engine they prefer, thanks Pat!

We all have our opinions as to what we think about these drop loop framed Worksman or Husky bicycles, and again what we can agree on is that we are fascinated with the look of these style of builds or tributes to motor bicyclings history.

Pat, thanks for offering your assistance to a fellow member with his drop loop frame build issues, helping each other in our pursuit of enjoying a home built motorized bike that pays tribute to the original builders of long ago, really makes motorized bicycling that much better. JMO.

Peace Crazy Horse.
PS K-Dregg my post is not intended to offend you or any other builder either, just me sharing my opinion.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
No Worries Crazy.. As i said.. I just wanted to clear up a miss understanding..

But in your original post its a little bit hard to know that it is a quote from someone else since the text is presented without any quitation marks and with the "qouted from" under the text..;)

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas

Cheers Dregg
Here is a very, very cool video of real boardtrackers in real races, not that Czech film where they are leisurely riding....100 mph in a 1920 Indian!
Note that the best driver has a pad between him and the fuel tank. Actually although the boardtrackers look cool, I don't try to build them as they are just
awful to ride, I like the cruisers that were the real motorcycles of the period.
A boardtracker is a racer, I want to build stuff people can enjoy, so I agree that the term "boardtracker" as used for vintage style tribute bikes is meaningless. Also included is a recent video of our airfare where if you are patient enough to get through the airplanes you can see a glimpse of my "Choctaw" ( just on display--just got it running yesterday--and I made up a name as it doesn't look like any bike of the period much) before I add the modified wald bars and fenders to make it a cruiser. Also I will be driving around on my Husky (I had to cut up the frame of the Husky to get the non slant fire to fit but did not know enough to chance lengthening the frame--I am probably going to mod it later when my second project is complete).
A friend has just build a "Clyclone" style bike (no loop frame--it's just yellow with a curved sided tank and minor additions such as white wheels and Wald 867's) an "easy" for neophyte they are the best way to get started, and not all motorcycles of the era were loop frames...but lets face it, after building the short husky, I had to go to the lenghtened loop frame. These things are like potato chips, hard to be satisfied with just one. Here are the videos if you are interested.

National Film Preservation Foundation: Beverly Hills Board Track Racing (1921)

YouTube - Old Kingsbury Aerodrome Fly In-2010

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
No Worries Crazy.. As i said.. I just wanted to clear up a miss understanding..

But in your original post its a little bit hard to know that it is a quote from someone else since the text is presented without any quotation marks and with the "quoted from" under the text..;)
Thanks K-dregg, I will remember the proper way to quote, I too apologize for any misunderstanding.

Peace Crazy Horse.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
not to stir the pot here, but there are more frame styles than just the drop-loop. excelsior, harley, and others had a "no loop" (dunno what the actual name is) frame where the engine was used as structural support, and the down tube was chopped off right after the headtube.

"period correct" gets thrown around here alot, but in most circles it means that all the parts are actually from that period, yet may not be a part offered by the manufacturer.

for instance, an aftermarket horn or light (or anything else) made in 1940 and installed on a 1940 bike, would be "period correct," even if the original manufacturer didn't install it.

trying to build a "period correct" 1900's boardtracker is pretty much impossible for just about everyone.

a modified worksman frame, home-built bike, or any other custom fabrication would just be a reproduction, a tribute, or even an interpretation of the original.

then there's the "boardtracker look."

i agree that just flipping over the bars on your beach cruiser and taking off the fenders doesn't make it a "boardtracker," it just makes it uncomfortable.;)

basically, with our "hobby," you can call your bike whatever you want, be it a chinese toy store bike with harley stickers on it (which, if ya think about it, is pretty much a harley replica, these days) or a custom built, drop loop board tracker.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
We just need to keep building and having fun!

Al

not to stir the pot here, but there are more frame styles than just the drop-loop. excelsior, harley, and others had a "no loop" (dunno what the actual name is) frame where the engine was used as structural support, and the down tube was chopped off right after the headtube.

"period correct" gets thrown around here alot, but in most circles it means that all the parts are actually from that period, yet may not be a part offered by the manufacturer.

for instance, an aftermarket horn or light (or anything else) made in 1940 and installed on a 1940 bike, would be "period correct," even if the original manufacturer didn't install it.

trying to build a "period correct" 1900's boardtracker is pretty much impossible for just about everyone.

a modified worksman frame, home-built bike, or any other custom fabrication would just be a reproduction, a tribute, or even an interpretation of the original.

then there's the "boardtracker look."

i agree that just flipping over the bars on your beach cruiser and taking off the fenders doesn't make it a "boardtracker," it just makes it uncomfortable.;)

basically, with our "hobby," you can call your bike whatever you want, be it a chinese toy store bike with harley stickers on it (which, if ya think about it, is pretty much a harley replica, these days) or a custom built, drop loop board tracker.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
exactly.

awesome video, Hoodoo!
Now here's CHOCTAW. Not quite an Indian so I made this faux manufacturer up from my tribal name (I am a 3.375%er). White man go home :).

The crude tank cover is provisional, probably will use it as frame to put on a curved tank after everthing else is done on the bike. Note the worksman just doesn't satisfy me re seat position so I am going to move the seat back, I already chopped off the top of the frame that the seat slides into but still no lower or back enough. The seat position you see will be a little further forward an upward but I think I am going to keep the new handlebars as is. I like the look of the long un's. Now for oil tank and fenders, right now can't find the front fender but it is around here somewhere.

Now here is the best thing. None of yall may like this but I love it (occasionally hate it when things like the chain give me trouble but that is part of love) and I am making it for ME, which is what all of us are doing.

Attachments

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Here is the contrast between a loop frame and a non loop frame. My friend decided to make a vintage tribute that started out as a triumph tribute but morphed a bit into a Cyclone. Note the use of the standard worksman frame with a sheet metal cover to two plastic tanks. He did not do any welding, even the tank cover his screwed and caulked but still looks great and of course that yellow paint is the cat's meow He scratch built the cool headlight from an aryclic bottomed astray and other stuff he cobbled together. Now, all we need is a gray Harley, lime green Excelsior, and an Orange Merkel, then again we need a blue bike also...it never ends which is the fun of it. We are obviously going the cheapest route for the most bang for the buck. Get serveral of these bikes running together and the details become less important. And oh yes, he will be doing the wheels in yellow.

Attachments