Flat tire warning

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I filled my tires with this self-repairing slime substance today, since I happened to be in walmart and saw it, hope its useful. I guess $7 is worth it?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I learned long ago with other bikes: there are neighborhoods that you just don't ride through. They're the same ones you wouldn't walk through at night. In places like that there's always screws, nails, glass, sharp rusty metal, and various pointed whatnot just laying in the street waiting for a tire to get stuck in. The streetsweepers never go there because it's too shady. If there's any significant amount of trash on a street, I won't ride there. Haven't had any flats since I began this policy.
I'm taking a wild guess you mean places like Gary, Indiana?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I tried slime, didn't like the added weight, and it get really thick when it's cold and unbalances the tire, plus my valve leaked with it anyway and made a mess. Some have great success with it though.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
Maybe you used something different than me. The directions on mine said to use 4oz in each tire, how can this be enough to change the weight?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Peppers if you use a paper thin tube with slime it won't really do you any good. Where I live the Goat head stickers will leave me walking without it. That is an absolute guarantee here. Most folks go by experiences. I use a bunch of it in my tubes leather thick ones the thorn proof kind.

Some folks just don't have anything in there land that makes leaks and flats. The stuff was designed to stop up holes if'n you get that stuff in your shraider valve it will plug it up. When airing up or checking pressure have the shraider at least at a 10 o clock position.

I have used slime for 30 years and I live off bicycles.

Where I live it is not possible for me to exist without it.

I have rode my bikes through many winters here. I just don't leave my machines outside. I let them in at night like my pet dogs.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
Here in Michigan if I tried to ride one of these in the winter I would die, the valve thing worry's me a bit, some might have gotten in when I was replacing the valve after putting the stuff in there. I'm gonna have to be keep that in mind, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have not but once in 30 years had a valve problem really! You can clean the shraider up if you do just don't let the stuff in the shraider 10 o clock or higher.

Yes I have worn the green stuff before. I still made it home. If you get impaled the best thing is to start riding immediately. This stuff has helped me so much I really don't mind whereing it [bad impalement] I will with pride.

Kinda like seat belts they save lives. Some crashes won't be walked away from.