problem with start up

GoldenMotor.com

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
got my motorbike running pretty damn good now, been on several long trips, have almost 200 miles on it. but the more i ride it the harder it seems to start. the engine fires up right away but as i release the clutch what used to be an easy start up now is really hard, so much that i almost come to a complete stop before the engine starts up. it was was easier previously. does anyone know what the problem is? should i be pressing the priming button before every ride? also i have a question about keeping the motor dry, how dry does the motor have to be at all times? i have siliconed the magneto cover so that part is safe, do i have to worry about the rest of the engine too?

jorge

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
yup.. agree with stv.. During break in you're gonna foul the plug.. Get a new plug.. My plug fouled too after break in..

cvlt1

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I agree Clean the air filter get a new plug a NGK for sure then its time to tune in the carb needle. 32:1 air cooled 2 stroke oil, or 40:1 synthetic oil I like to use Amsoil Saber at 50:1 NAPPA auto parts has them or SBP if you like to order on line. During Break in you run super rich and that will foul the plug cleaning it will make a little better but a new NGK plug should be about 5 bucks. If your really looking to tinker break the carb down and clean it will carb cleaner, empty out your gas tank remove the petcock and clean the screen and tank for debris. check your motor mounts and installation hardware, check the chain stretch and the condition of your tires.

Those are the things I do after break in. The better you maintain your bike the better it will run

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
what about the questions about water? how wet can the engine get?

also how do i know exactly which spark plug to buy???

jgb

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
i took my bike into a lake, off a a ramp, got about 60 feet of air, going down a hill, splat into the water. Kept the bike by the campfire, and started up next morning.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
what about the questions about water? how wet can the engine get?

also how do i know exactly which spark plug to buy???

jgb
The NGK number is a B6-HS. There is also a B7 & B5. Hotter and cooler plugs. The 6 seems to be the norm.
You've already taken care of the most critical area of waterproofing; the magneto cover. I'd also fill the hole where the wires exit the engine case. As for the carburetor, CDI and spark plug wire and boot, a little water won't hurt, like a fine spray from your tires but you don't want them dripping wet. Nothing electrical likes water, neither does fuel or its delivery system. Use some common sense. Many guys ride in the rain and snow with no problems but a drenched ignition system will eventually cause you problems. A dab of silicone around the spark plug connection to the CDI will help keep the moisture out.
Check Sick Bike Parts for a new petcock or your local Hardware store. The kit tank is not a 1/8" pipe thread but a machine thread that relies on a gasket to seal. I've successfully retapped the tanks with a 1/8' pipe tap and had no leaks or problems. Just keep the tap shallow if you try this.
Does that help? Hey Jorge, do they still have the Art Festival in the Grove every year?
Tom

Last edited:

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
thanks for all the info 2door, and yeah they still have the art festival every year in fact its coming up next weekend. unfortunantly its not the freedom festival it once was, its more like a corporate sponsored event now.

i saw someone say that the ngk r7hs was the best plug to use for smoother idling and better performance. you ever heard that?

also have you ever heard of anyone building any kind of covering for the carb or spark plug area to help with rain? i was thinking of building kind of like a can that would fit over the spark plug area, not touching anything but covering it by being attached to the cdi cable.

thanks for the help
jorge

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jorge,
I don't think a cover for the carb or plug is really necessary. You can silicone the wire around the plug boot, that would keep it dry and the air cleaner will divert most of the rain away from the carb inlet. Being from Miami I'm fully aware of the kind of rains you might encounter occasionally but in all honesty, if I were riding and one of those Glades Toad pounders came along, I'd be looking for a dry place to wait it out. The NGK plugs with and 'R' designation are resistor plugs. I try to shy away from resistance wire and plugs but the B7 is a little hotter, longer reach, than the 5 or 6 and some have found them better for their applications. Too bad about the festival. It used to be fun. I never missed it. Good luck
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I ride threw all weather, hot summer(not much of that), rain downpours, sleet, snow, Ice storms, small tornados and as long as the mag cover is sealed good, you will be fine. Every time i get back with my bike from riding in the rain, Im soak like a wet dog and my bike is wet but my engine(which is hot) is dry as a bone.

I store my bike inside and the engine still looks brandnew after a year and 1,000 miles.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door, the B7 is actually a colder plug.

from the NGK website: The heat rating of each NGK spark plug is indicated by a number; lower numbers indicate a hotter type, higher numbers indicate a colder type
I stand corrected. Baird is right. The lower the number, the hotter the plug. Now, I used to know that....:(
Tom