small problem

GoldenMotor.com

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
ive got my bike running almost perfect EXCEPT recently, after riding the bike for a few minutes it stops turning over, i give it gas and it just doesnt spark up, just goes wahwahwahwah and doesnt turn on or accelerate. does anyone know why this is happening?

jorge

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
It sounds like you are running out of fuel.

Pull the fuel tube off of the carb...operate the petcock to ensure that fuel is flowing. The flow doesn't have to be heavy, but you want more than a drip...drip. I've had a few petcocks that the seals would get all fouled up resulting in almost no fuel flow when turned on.

Are you operating the choke correctly? If the choke is left "on" what you have described will happen.

If everything is correct fuel-wise...you may have an intermittent problem with the CDI, which is unlikely.

Jim

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Might also be dirt in the carb bowl holding the valve open and causing the motor to be flooded.

Or, I've had problems with my CDI wires coming loose at the connections. They look like they're still connected cause of the rubber boot around them but might be pulled out of the socket.

Last edited:

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
i took apart the gas tank and petcock, both are working fine, put a different carburator on it, same problem. the bike like lurches forward for a couple clicks then stops itll go for five minutes fine, then just stop sparking up. any ideas?

the cdi connects coming apart at the cdi or at the connections to motor?

j

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
How much oil are you mixing in the gas? (I use 24:1 for engine break in, then 32:1 after)
Whats the plug gap? (should be .025-ish)
Is the choke lever pointing down? (up is choke 'on', down is 'off')
How old is the gas you used?

You didn't get the engine wet did you???

*edit* also, get rid of the kill button & get rid of the plug ins for the CDI, (solder & heat shrink them!!) ;)

Last edited: