Small sprocket won't turn - Help!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is there a way to get the chain OFF without opening the nut? I tried it and it always get stuck somewhere. I dont want to damage it. I just bought it new but I need to change the whole bottom end.
What "nut" are you talking about. And what do you mean by "change the whole bottom end" ?

If you want to remove the chain all you need to do is take the master link off, disengage the clutch and pull the chain out of the engine, preferrably from the bottom.

Reinstalling the chain can be simplified by tying a piece of string to the end link, run the string through the clutch actuator cover and pull the chain through with it. It can be done without the string but often the chain will bunch up on the drive sprocket and jamb. If that happens don't try to force things with a screwdriver. You'll break something. You can also remove the spark plug and feed the chain around the drive sprocket with the clutch actuator cover removed.

Tom

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
the nut on the small sprocket on the engine. i dont have a masterlink. i bought a new bottom end (complete engine block) and obviosuly want to use the chain on the new block. i cant get the nut open because some pieces of my tools are missing. oh well i just wait to get them these days. takes a week anyways for the parts to come.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
If you have a wrench or socket to fit in the nut, take the spark plug out of the engine. stuff a length of rope down into the spark plug hole to fill up the cylinder & leave the end sticking out. turn the nut and the piston will rise. the rope will stop the piston before it gets to top dead center & lock the motor up without damaging anything. you should be able to get the nut loose at that point.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have a wrench or socket to fit in the nut, take the spark plug out of the engine. stuff a length of rope down into the spark plug hole to fill up the cylinder & leave the end sticking out. turn the nut and the piston will rise. the rope will stop the piston before it gets to top dead center & lock the motor up without damaging anything. you should be able to get the nut loose at that point.
Or jamb a penny between the teeth of the gears on the right side of the engine. The copper won't damage the steel gear teeth but will keep the crankshaft from rotating while you loosen the nut.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania