What's Up With This TRAIN NOISE???

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I have had a lot of deaf friends at the school I went to there was a very large group. They had their own culture and surprisingly a lot of them seemed to prefer it. I had a room mate from Mazatlan Mexico that went to college in Mexico...talk about tough this guy had to be sharp they don't accomodate even the little bit we do here. I for one would not want to trade spaces.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I have had a lot of deaf friends at the school I went to there was a very large group. They had their own culture and surprisingly a lot of them seemed to prefer it. I had a room mate from Mazatlan Mexico that went to college in Mexico...talk about tough this guy had to be sharp they don't accomodate even the little bit we do here. I for one would not want to trade spaces.

George,
I lost my hearing at age nine....I played catcher in little league baseball and was struck by a bat from the batters errant swing on a strike....I'm not totally deaf but damn near it ( 78% )....and to be honest since I used to be able to hear I'd really rather be able to....hence my discomfort with the post by the person whining about the train noise....( sighs )....you don't know what you have until you lose it .....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Nobody can say they know how you feel...I do know it ain't easy. One of the sharpest people I ever talked to was a customer callin for tech support...we were well into troubleshooting before I found out he was legally blind (not totally). This guy lived in NY City and taught blind people to use computers.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Nobody can say they know how you feel...I do know it ain't easy. One of the sharpest people I ever talked to was a customer callin for tech support...we were well into troubleshooting before I found out he was legally blind (not totally). This guy lived in NY City and taught blind people to use computers.

There ya have it George.....the uncanny ability of people overcoming adversity....most of us simply refuse to succumb ....it's not that we have to....it's that we WANT to....that sets one apart....Hey !....we're just like anyone else we just have a couple more issues than normal....LOL ( smiles )....:)

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Sorry to hear about your train noise problem Kat.

I looked it up, and it turns out that there is something called Train Code, which is a Morse Code like form of communication and the reason for their long seemingly random sequences of blows.

Train whistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you're bored, you should try decoding the horn blows. You could also test it to see if they are really using Morse Code (which would be ridiculous because I mean... we've got cheap cell phones and radios everywhere in our modern age)

I live near tracks too, actually... I live near a junction where trains go to park and take turns entering and exiting. I suggest looking on a map to see if there is anything significant about your area... and when you move again, try to avoid this problem altogether. I suggest Google Maps or Google Earth... it's a really spectacular program. I even used it's street view feature to get a photo of my house before I went to look at and rent it!

Personally, I thought I'd be annoyed by trains when I moved here... but I'm really not. I ignore them pretty well, and if I'm trying to focus I got a pair of large ear-muff like headsets to blast comforting music (or alternatively, Disturbed depending on my mood or activity lol)...

It kinda makes me wonder... I'm very wary of riding my motorized bike at night. It's really loud, so I keep my journeys brief that night if I have to go somewhere. There is always a bright sunny day for recreational riding... no sense in being a menace.