Mope/motorized bicycle Hybrid

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Anybody else think this might be a good idea ...
remove the "bad" motor from an otherwise good moped and
install an motorized bicycle motor setup.

I'm thinking that a friction drive (like the Staton) would
be neat on the rear of a "stripped down" moped like the one in the web photo below
(imagine original engine removed).

Of course, there are lots of other possible configurations too. Maybe even
turn it electric with a hub motor.?

Could be a good way to get a sturdy, heavy duty type bike fairly
cheap for a "unique" build.

Moped + MB = ?

Attachments

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Re: Mope/MB Hybrid

Michigan Mike ,the way I see it you may have 3 choices for this ped ,1 fix it with original repairs as possible .2 modify it to a new design of your choice . 3 use it for a boat anchor in one of those crystal clear lakes that you live near . The first 2 choices would sure be the most fun .

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado

Yea I have an image to uphold and that bike wouldnt help.......it seems alot of fabrication would be in order to mount every thing the way youd want it. If it were me Id see about getting the thing running, every thing is there it looks like. Whats up with the motor? Is it seized?

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Yea I have an image to uphold and that bike wouldnt help.......it seems alot of fabrication would be in order to mount every thing the way youd want it. If it were me Id see about getting the thing running, every thing is there it looks like. Whats up with the motor? Is it seized?
Hey bandito,
Wish I did but I don't actually own the moped in the picture ... was just using a web photo as an example of one that might be good to re-vamp.

What I was getting at here was that if the right moped came along real cheap ... say an older one with a junk motor but good body & wheels ... it could be stripped down to make a good, heavy duty bike for a rear wheel friction drive system. Or maybe use the Golden Eagle belt drive set up ... or even an electric motor with a rear wheel chain drive. Hopefully ending up with a "heavy duty" MB ... or "ultra-light" moped.

A moped similar in style to the one pictured below (web photo) might be a better contender for this type project ... once the "old" motor is removed it shouldn't be too hard to mount a new friction drive over the rear wheel.
.trk.

Attachments

Last edited:

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn

Hey, I found a moped thread!

I have a junk moped. Cracked piston rings, scored walls, no compression, rusted gears, and no tires. I am currently cutting up a 20" girls bike and fabing in pedals and brakes for the 20" tires. I can't afford a $100 motor kit off ebay right now, but I think that's how I'll go about a new cheap motor. I'll post pics if anyone's interested.

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn

What? Dead thread all ready?

Okay, so I've seen people with the same problems I got switch theirs to electric power. I'm finding a lot of free electric golf carts with dead batteries. The thing is I have a few dead rockets that would work better for an electric motorcycle as there is more battery room and rebuilding the moped motor is about $150. So it looks like the deal here is that it's better served to just rebuild what you got.

.bld.