Stripped threads

GoldenMotor.com

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The threads one one of the exhaust stud holes is stripped out. My dad told me to use safety wire to make a "redneck" helicoil, but it didn't work. I just got it all back together and i really don't want to take it apart. Will a helicoil work in there because i don't see how a tap can get all the way into it. Or can I use some kind of epoxy type stuff to "glue" the stud in place.

Thanks,
Mrakulous
usflg

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Why not use JB Weld? Just kidding, that is ridiculous. :)

Re-tapping to 7mm or 1/4" is the only reasonable fix.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
If tools are an issue a sheet metal screw the right size works.
If your talking about self tapping sheet metal screws that would be a bad choice. Unlikely you'd get out of the driveway. Allthread or a bolt with head cut off makes more sense.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Xlite Ive had some pretty crappy cars back in the day the kind youd pay $300 for and drive them till they died. I remember a few times where a 8mm bolt would strip out doing a water pump or what ever and I used a sheet metal bolt, the kind where it has huge threads on them to repair it. They dig into aluminum really well especially if the thread is just bigger than the hole. Doing it right? No but tools and money were an issue, I used what I had and it worked. I wouldnt do it now but its an option.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
i don't see how a tap can get all the way into it
There are blind taps (also called bottom taps) that can thread a not-all-the-way-through hole.

My $20 Harbor Freight tap & die set has gotten a lot of use, mostly on aluminum. At that price you could buy two sets and chop down the tap on one set to make your own blind tap, if the need arose. When chopping it, you would have to be careful not to overheat and ruin the hardness of the steel.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Xlite Ive had some pretty crappy cars back in the day the kind youd pay $300 for and drive them till they died. I remember a few times where a 8mm bolt would strip out doing a water pump or what ever and I used a sheet metal bolt, the kind where it has huge threads on them to repair it. They dig into aluminum really well especially if the thread is just bigger than the hole. Doing it right? No but tools and money were an issue, I used what I had and it worked. I wouldnt do it now but its an option.
It might be possible to get away with it on a car water pump but considering the difference in vibration, shear, and tensile forces on a HT exhaust unlikely to last more than a few minutes. Look how many fine thread studs fail. Sheet metal screws? Yeah..right!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
There are blind taps (also called bottom taps) that can thread a not-all-the-way-through hole.

My $20 Harbor Freight tap & die set has gotten a lot of use, mostly on aluminum. At that price you could buy two sets and chop down the tap on one set to make your own blind tap, if the need arose. When chopping it, you would have to be careful not to overheat and ruin the hardness of the steel.

I'm thinking a regular tap may work better because it will bind at the bottom making the fit tighter. This proved to be true when bolting flywheels to the shaft on my Homelite friction drive setups. The blind taps came out, the regular ones didn't.

lovehamr

Oct 9, 2009
GA
I'm thinking a regular tap may work better because it will bind at the bottom making the fit tighter. This proved to be true when bolting flywheels to the shaft on my Homelite friction drive setups. The blind taps came out, the regular ones didn't.
Am I missing something? Why would you want your tap to bind in the hole being tapped?

JD-StukNchaoS

Dec 29, 2008
santa paula, Calif.
Just drill n tap to a size up making sure it's course thread and red locktite. If one is already jacked then the others not far behind,.,.,.do 'em both! Keep it simple,. GL Stuk

Last edited: