carb is pissing me off.

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
So my carb is really pissing me off.
This is what it is doing. It will run fine, perfectly for a while, then start to run leaner and leaner. I can tell because the engine starts to feel and sound like it is running lean, and when I throttle down idles high. But then it will start working again and run for 20 miles just fine.

I'm running the needle in the stock location (second from top).
Plenty of fuel flow, I don't have a filter, and the petcock screen is clear.
Float is not sticking and flowing correctly.
Needle isn't clogged.

I have moved the float level up and down, cleaned the whole thing out.
I can't think of anything else to do. It is really annoying me, and I'm afraid if I keep running I'm going to fry my engine running lean to much.

Thanks for help.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Mine was doing doing the same thing. The intake was cracked. hairline crack next to where it bolts to the cylinder. I put silicon on it but then it broke more so i replaced it. The only reason I can think of why your bike is doing that is 1 the bolts are loose that hold your intake on. 2 the intake is loose. 3 your carb is loose. when it runs fine then lean then fine again something is probably loose.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Good point on something being loose. I didn't check the intake pipe bolts. I'll also check for cracks. Wouldn't have even thought of that.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I didn't either for the longest time. kept jetting and changing needle sizes. Even changed carbs then after i put the heavier delardo on it i could see the crack. So I replaced the intake put my stock carb back on and it runs like a champ. If you carb isn't shoved on there real tight and then tightened down it can leak then too.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Another carb on crack... erm... crack on a carb

Found it this morning, I had thought it was fuel line/inlet leak, and yeah... it kinda pisses me off lol

This is a very good name for a thread :D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I was always told its better to be pissed off than on.
Carbs on crack? I wonder if Jimmy has been cracking carbs instead of corn???!!!!
You might fix it for a while with JB weld how long it stays fixed is going to be a wild mule guess.
if you can get it roughed up the JB will stick better. Being in the area where the crack is the aluminum solder fix would more than likely melt the carb before you could fix it but if you want to try you might get lucky the solder melts a few degrees lower than the carbs metal. If you want to I'd try it for you but no guarantee I can fix it, could end up a nice shinny blob.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Naw - I agree w/you Norm, I really don't think most any repair would last. Perhaps if I lightly countersunk the fissure, fluxed and soldered... o_O

WTF am I thinkin' :p

The part that pissed me off wasn't the crack so much as the primary reason I had removed it in the first place was I wanted to track down that leak. I put a new bowl gasket in and one for the fuel inlet, I also rejetted it with the guts from the newer style carb as I noticed they were different.

It wasn't till I got it all back together, put it on the bike and turned the fuel on that I saw the hairline crack - just in time to leave for work.

I shoulda just swapped carbs /facepalm

So guess what this mornin's lil project is lol, but thanks for the offer man :D

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
My carb is just, and has always been, a POS.
I'm still on the lookout for a carb I can steal off something.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Almost anything you can fit will work better once jetted up right.
The stock carb is THE MOST primitive carb I have ever worked with.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I think the carb matches the rest of the engine kit perfectly its all a POS
that is what I like about this if it tears up no big loss.