Motor has no power.

GoldenMotor.com

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Ok here's the deal.. I bought a new "80 cc" kit and put it on my bike with few hiccups. I mix it 16:1 (as recommended by the manual for break-in period) and take off on the bike to fire it for the first time. After some adjustment, it idled very nicely. So after letting it warm up, I decided to go for a spin. It takes off ok, but then it's like it hits a brick wall. It will not accelerate any faster and is only doing around 12-15 mph, and with a 41T sprocket, I assume it should do considerably better than that. It has ok low end torque, little mid-range, and no top end whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I can't really get it to rev up at all. It just get's to a certain rpm and it's like it's being choked off or something, although, it seems to me that the exact opposite is happening, as it's more of a... Wet, heavy bog than a dry, panting type. I'd like to point out that it sprays some unburned fuel/oil out of the exhaust, which to me indicates that it's actually getting too much fuel. Could I be wrong..? And if not, then what do I do about it?

:-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
16:1 is too much oil!!! Use 24:1 for the first two gallons.
16:1 was back in the old days when they used to mix regular motor oil with the gas.
Also, make sure your choke lever is down.

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Maybe.. But even at that, it should still rev up at least, albeit smoking like a freight train in the rockies...

Edit: I think I have officially ruled that it's getting too much fuel. The plug is wet-looking (after being ran for a couple miles) AND it's almost black, which I s'pose could be the heavy oil mixture, but that don't explain the wet. Moreover, now that I think about it, I had a moped that had an air/fuel mixture screw on the outside of it's carb and if you loosened it and allowed more fuel to go through (which i thought would make it faster at the time... young, silly me), it started running in a very similar manner. Dogging around, much less power, etc. And when tightened back, it began to run well again. Now the big question: What do I do about it? New carb maybe? I hate that because it's a BRAND NEW kit...

Last edited:

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Then let me drain the tank and mix a fresh batch and I'll come back with the results. Should only take a few minutes..

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
24:1 fuel mixed in. Still not running right and for some reason, the slide is sticking at WOT.... I think I'm just gonna get a new carby...

devonalcorn

Sep 22, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
I am in the middle of getting mine to run correctly, also. It is a new build, my first (a Black Stallion 66cc.) which looks great but has not been w/o problems. First the killswitch was faulty and prohibiting any chance of it starting (no spark), so I have removed the ground wire temporarily so I could get it running. Then, running, it would perform EXACTLY as you described. I am running a 16:1 ratio, also, and was scolded by my two-stroke guru buddy who said maybe I should siphon maybe a cup out of my tank and pour in some gas to even it out to closer to 18:1. I still have not done that as I found that, by taking off my float bowl, the little brass piece in there that looks like a pipe, was slightly clogged. Oh, hehe and it came from the factory that way AND was not even screwed in at all. It was laying horizontally on my float, AND my little white plastic donut float was 3/4 full of fuel???? Rule #1, if you buy something inexpensively, it doesn't mean it is going to be junk, it just means that it was produced inexpensively by cutting corners on material quality or cost of labor or just in not fully inspecting it before shipping. However, I have to say that the kit was complete, well designed, simple and included all the needed parts to make it fit nearly any oddball frame shape. It did not take me 3 hours as stated. More like 7 combined, and I still can't ride the darn thing. The guys at Kings were quick, courteous and immediately arranged that I will be getting a new float in the mail. I called on Tuesday at closing, so I figured they would process my request Wednesday and maybe mail it that day or Thursday. It is now Friday and the mailman has yet to arrive, so I am crossing my fingers that it will be in the mail today. It will take me 5 minutes to put it in the float bowl, screw two screws back in place, remount the carburetor on the silly little intake tube, pop my gas line back on and fire it up. I hope that works. Funny thing is while it ran like crap with a bad float and that brass piece not even screwed in, it still ran and actually pulled me up a pretty big hill. I am 210 pounds. I am not expecting a rocket, but if that is what it could do running poorly, I am certain to be pleased when broken in, dialed in, etc. Oh, btw, this is my first bike, a Schwinn Beach Cruiser. I have had it ten years for $199. The motor was about $175 including shipping to MO and then had my mother-in-law ship it to me in CA, where they can not sell them to CA residents. There are ways around that BS. I can hear about 50 different two-stroke weed-eaters, leaf-blowers and chain saws daily around here. Is it because mine has wheels and can potentially provide me with affordable transportation with a carbon footprint that is probably 1/5 of my 20mpg 4 cylinder Toyota?

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
I hope your new float solves your problem devonalcorn. I'll have to look at mine. I did, however, already check the main jet and it was ok (not clogged or loose, etc). And now, the slider won't hardly move up and down in the chamber at all at any position and takes quite a bit of force to get it down in there... I'm about fed up with it.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have this problem, too. Are you meaning the throttle cable that goes through the little aluminum threaded cap when you refer to screwing the top on the carburetor?
I mean the large threaded cap that holds the cable adjuster in it. (the one that holds in the whole slider)

Aiko... there's a slot in the side of the slider that fits over a tiny brass pin down in the carb body, (to keep the slider straight)... If you missed the pin, the slider will stick!
also, another thing to check, is that the cable isn't kinked or has any sharp bends in it.

Last edited:

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
It originally worked fine. I took it out to look at it and it wouldn't hardly go back in without quite a bit of force. Before it even gets to the pin. The slider I mean.

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
Howdy mick29 here try adjusting the needle on the carby remove the top cap remove spring remove needle there is a small E clip on needle move it up a notch or 2 put it back together and try that it sounds as if it was running to rich mine was set to rich from the factory doing the same thing let me no how you when thanks mick29

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
Venice boy - excellent advice!

@ the OP - if you have done/looked at what VB has suggested and you still have issue,

I ll link this here as well

Carburetor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (ive got the link configured to shortcut to the section of interest for you & this problem )

What you mentioned in op : Runs great until rpms get higher

means you have a jetting issue. Check out the link above, and pay attention to "Power Valve" section of the Operation block. NOT what i would have referred to it personally, but its a matter of terminology.

Last edited:

akio2589

Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
As it would turn out, I bought a new carb and it solved the problem. Even on it's leanest setting, moving the needle didn't help at all. I guess the jet in it was just too big. New carb is a little rich as well, but I think that moving the needle on it would help. I'm gonna leave it that way until I break the engine in anyway. I appreciate everyone's input.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
natural ice tastes better from a keg when served on the beach.

Doesnt mean the beer isnt Natural Ice.

edit: analogy. Dig ?

Last edited:

devonalcorn

Sep 22, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
As it would turn out, I bought a new carb and it solved the problem. Even on it's leanest setting, moving the needle didn't help at all. I guess the jet in it was just too big. New carb is a little rich as well, but I think that moving the needle on it would help. I'm gonna leave it that way until I break the engine in anyway. I appreciate everyone's input.
Man oh man, am I ever NOT enjoying my recent first-build. It is gutless with little to no low-end power and NO top-end power. I endure sputter-sputter-pop-cough-cough-puff wherever I go. It is hard to start, and dies easily. I have a new float, cleared jet, loosened throttle rod, etc. I have taken the carb apart and checked for soot, and whatnot. I am not pleased, BUT I will admit to not having cleaned out my brand new muffler and have not reset the factory clip on the throttle needle. I am running regular gas with an oil ratio of 16:1. I am barely into my 15th mile of miserable driving.

I hope this gets more enjoyable.:-||