Schwinn Jaguar-Chain Issue

GoldenMotor.com

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've been reading this forum for several months and have absorbed a great deal of information. Recently I purchased a 70cc kit from Thatsdax to mount on my Schwinn Jaguar.

Overall the install has gone well except for one problem. The chain seems to be very near the rear tire and at times it rubs the tire. During acceleration it's not much of a problem because any slack is taken out and keeps the chain from rubbing side to side. However when I'm decelerating the chain binds and I can hear it popping. I believe part of the problem is an alignment issue because it just seems like the chain is to close to the rear tire. From what I can tell, the motor is installed properly in the frame and seems like it's aligned according to the mount.

I ground some of the excess off of the rear sprocket teeth to help the chain seat properly and that seemed to help a little but it didn't fix the problem.

I've also tried adjusting the slack in the chain from sloppy loose all the way to very snug.

The bike is fitted with the standard 2 1/8" tires. Perhaps I need to go with a smaller rear tire?

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
you will probably need a dished sprocket.do you have the flat sprocket from thatsdax?
A dished sprocket might do the trick.

There is something interesting; however. I just went out to the garage and checked the alignment with a straight edge. If I hold the straight edge parallel to the inside of the rear sprocket, I get about 1/2" clearance from the tire and it's about 1/4" off to the outside of the motor sprocket. If I line up the straight edge to both inside edges of the sprockets, it gives me slightly less than 1/4" clearance from the tire. With that said it looks like the motor sprocket it too far to the inside. I've moved the front part of the motor towards the inside in an effort to push the motor sprocket out a little but it doesn't change much.

I'm stumped...

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I've been reading this forum for several months and have absorbed a great deal of information. Recently I purchased a 70cc kit from Thatsdax to mount on my Schwinn Jaguar.

Overall the install has gone well except for one problem. The chain seems to be very near the rear tire and at times it rubs the tire. During acceleration it's not much of a problem because any slack is taken out and keeps the chain from rubbing side to side. However when I'm decelerating the chain binds and I can hear it popping. I believe part of the problem is an alignment issue because it just seems like the chain is to close to the rear tire. From what I can tell, the motor is installed properly in the frame and seems like it's aligned according to the mount.

I ground some of the excess off of the rear sprocket teeth to help the chain seat properly and that seemed to help a little but it didn't fix the problem.

I've also tried adjusting the slack in the chain from sloppy loose all the way to very snug.

The bike is fitted with the standard 2 1/8" tires. Perhaps I need to go with a smaller rear tire?

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh
I have a Schwinn Delmar with a coaster brake so I don’t know if the following suggestion will work on your bike. I loosen both sides of the rear axle and adjust the rear wheel so that there is equal tire clearance for the motor chain and the pedal chain. A slight angle of the wheel to the right or left will not be noticeable when you ride. Then tighten both axle nuts. Coaster brake bikes have long dropouts to allow this adjustment. Bikes with derailers may not have this adjustment capability.