How well does the Centrifugal Clutch setup work?

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I found a centrifugal clutch setup at the gasbikeshop for 29 95 and it gives instructions on how to install it(looks real easy)....Has anyone bought one and how well do they work?Im sure it has alot more torque on take off....It would be great to not have to pull the clutch in everything I slow down to 10 to 15 mph with all the jerking and such....Any feedback would be appreciated....
Thanksdnut
John-John

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The added weight\flywheel effect of the kit nullified the jerking at low speed on my engine...I can putt along at 10k quite smoothly and when I roll on the throttle from low speeds it pulls away smoothly. A smooth low rpm idle is also an added benefit, at idle you can barely tell my engine is running from 5 feet away and that's nice when I'm stopped for pedestrians at a crosswalk or navigating through the human traffic in a busy mall parking lot.

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Thanks for the reply rockenstien....I seen a adaptor transmition type thing on one website that did away with the drive train,but they wanted like 279bucks or somewere around there....I think this centrifugal clutch is alot better setup from what I can tell in the install picks and if it does away with the jerking as well,then praise the bicyle gods!
What I cant figure out is how you can start it without the pullstart....Has to be the spring tention....Anything over a couple mph and it kicks in.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
John-John

Last edited:

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
I'm very interested in this also. Being able to go from a stop to going w/o having to pedal up to speed to avoid jerking would be so nice. i'm willing to drop $30 to try this thing out, however, what I don't like is if it does not work out, did you just ruin the clutch on the engine by grinding down the 3 screws? I think the shifter you are talking about is on sick bike parts, their shift kit runs around 200 - 280 or so. I'd like to see what others have to say about this Centrifugal clutch.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
What I cant figure out is how you can start it without the pullstart....Has to be the spring tention....Anything over a couple mph and it kicks in

The centrifugal clutch kit from Zoom uses a "roller clutch" type bearing in the clutch drum that runs on the shaft adapter...this means that when your clutch lever is pulled in your bike pedals\rides as normal. Letting the clutch lever out while pedaling engages the stock friction plate clutch which now starts turning the centrifugal kit's clutch drum...the roller clutch bearing in the clutch drum locks up on the shaft adapter when it's being rotated via pedaling if the engine is not running. Hence how you can pedal start the engine as you normally would. If the engine is running the roller clutch bearing does not engage on the shaft adapter and vola' you can stop, idle and take off without even touching the manual clutch. I still pedal some to help with the take offs...it's just less strain on the system since the centrifugal clutch engages at such a low rpm. One other thing I'll mention is that if your forward motion is equal to or greater than engine rpm the roller clutch bearing does engage and you have normal engine braking.

Hope I explained it well enough so you get the idea of how it works.