1927 & 1958 build

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I like the slip belt clutch, back when I was a kid in the late 1950's we built a motor bicycle using the same principle. It was no speed demon, but living miles from nowhere on a ranch in west Texas it provided transportation. My uncle came up with the idea, he called an idler arm clutch.
That clutch setup has been around since the 1800's. However they were hard on the leather drive belts!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That clutch setup has been around since the 1800's. However they were hard on the leather drive belts!
Now this is not to be done, but just about way simple clutches. I built my first motor bike long ago. It was through plans I bought from seller in back of Popular Mechanics. Plans mentioned drilling holes in the frame. OK, but that is not the crux. So before I got it ready, my brother took it for a spin where the engine was not attached but from one hole drilled and a cable to above the cylinder head. The idea was to use your knee to swing the engine in and taught the belt. Also the throttle was not but the stiff lawn mower lever. It was not mounted. You could not move the throttle as it was too stiff cable without a vise grip. He put the cable end in his pocket set on full speed. Later a string to the spring loaded choke went to the handle bar. Pull the string in pulses and you have a throttle or kinda stop switch.