cutting up a bike frame & putting it back together with epoxy?

GoldenMotor.com

angryteabag

Jul 29, 2014
New Zealand
I'm thinking of cutting up my bike frame in order to make the frame the gas tank.
I want to cut the top cylinder, fill in both sides with metal/plastic material and epoxy it in.

The reason I want to use epoxy is because i don't have access to welding gear.

Is it a thing that is possible/wold work and handle the vibration/stress?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Only if you plan to use the bike for static display and never intend to ride it.

This is a very bad idea. Please don't try it. There is a reason why bicycle frames are welded and not glued together. The potential for injury is high.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thought so. So the same idea but welded?
Welded by a person who is competent in the craft is the only way.

Structurally you have to realize what the top tube does as far as frame integrity is concerned. Loss or failure of that part of the frame will put all of the weight and stress on the bottom bracket and the down tube where it attaches to it. The frame would 'fold up' in the middle. I don't have to explain what would result if that happened while you are riding the bike, at any speed.

Explore some alternatives for a fuel tank or find someone to weld it for you.
Good luck.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
... or just buy a $125 frame with a built in gas tank and move your parts to it.
gasbike.net has them with free delivery.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
it would in nz dollars lol ........jokin.......

find a near by metal fab shop DON'T cut the frame but
1, work out a basic shape for a tank using cardboard
2, get some sheet metal cut out the pieces for your tank
3, get the fab shop to weld it all up (to your frame if that's what you really want)

do a search on here an get ideas for tanks just don't cut up your frame

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I am curious as to why you want to do this? I'm not being smart or anything, just curious what is the difference between the tank being where it is now or an inch lower and a permanent part of the frame. Should the tank ever malfunction or have structural damage (rust, wreck, leak, etc), you will not be able to remove it for the repair or replacement without cutting it off, and cutting it may lead to sparks, not a good idea in a tank that's had fuel in it.

angryteabag

Jul 29, 2014
New Zealand
I am curious as to why you want to do this? I'm not being smart or anything, just curious what is the difference between the tank being where it is now or an inch lower and a permanent part of the frame. Should the tank ever malfunction or have structural damage (rust, wreck, leak, etc), you will not be able to remove it for the repair or replacement without cutting it off, and cutting it may lead to sparks, not a good idea in a tank that's had fuel in it.

All of the above is true. basically, I don't like the style of the current tank, and if I'm going to put effort into getting a new tank, may as well make it so the tanks uses space efficiently. - Here in NZ, a good looking replacement tank will cost as much as it would to cut and reweld the frame.

So

1) Style, it's simply bad ass to have the fuel in the frame
2) Efficient use of space
3) Practical - as you can use the space to put bags or whatever on it.
4) Costs the same as alternatives

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
No need to cut the frame. Build the tank out of the same metal as the frame, then slice it down the middle and weld it in place. So what if the top tube runs through the tank? The frames structural integrity will remain and that's all that really matters.

You may not have enough clearance under the top tube for anything other than a tank that sits on top of the top tube.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No need to cut the frame. Build the tank out of the same metal as the frame, then slice it down the middle and weld it in place. So what if the top tube runs through the tank? The frames structural integrity will remain and that's all that really matters.

You may not have enough clearance under the top tube for anything other than a tank that sits on top of the top tube.
Been thinking just that. Pretty cool thought.

Another option is an old scooter or MC tank. I know not what you were thinking, ATB. But would be almost bolt on and removable if ya needed. Junk/scrap/salvage yards some times have really cool old ones for cheap. Found one at a thrift store once for $3.

Just a thought.