Cranbrook rear sprocket problems!

GoldenMotor.com

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Im having some trouble with rear sprocket from FH 66cc kit and stock newer cranny hub. The sprocket does not fit completely onto hub,it rubs against spokes? And no room for 2nd black carbon ring(ragjoint)..Please help

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The rubber goes between the sprocket and the spokes. Think of it as a sandwich. Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plates, with the nine bolts holding the sandwich together.

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
That pic looks like you don't have the dust cap installed - did you open the center hole of the sprocket far enough to clear it? Without it you'll trash those bearings in a month or so.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That pic looks like you don't have the dust cap installed - did you open the center hole of the sprocket far enough to clear it? Without it you'll trash those bearings in a month or so.
I usually replace the dust cover on these hubs with a flat washer drilled to fit the cone nut. This covers the bearings without interfering with the sprocket.
You should also use BOTH rubber rings even though it makes getting the sprocket centered much harder. Tighten the bolts a LITTLE at a time and check often as you draw the sprocket down until it meets the hub. The rings will compress and you can get it right, It just takes some effort.
You will probably also have problems with the sprocket bolts hitting the brake arm. Remove it and bend it to clear. Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't, you just have to try it.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Another problem you will find is that most every Beach Cruiser will have a front tube that is too fat and too far away to mount directly.

On the Huffy's all you need to do is just squeeze the tube a bit with some channel lock plies. The cheap thin steel bends easy and it's better than compromising it by drilling a hole.

When I ordered my Grubee from GasBike.net I added the extra mounting kit, $15 I think, and it came with these added parts so I didn't bother to see if the motor would mount lower without the kit, check that first for yourself. A lower motor mount mean lower center of G.

I just used the longer studs and the extra U extender block to mount it.

I didn't let the unused "rag gasket" go to waste either, it worked great to insulate the motor from the bike a bit and fill in the gap.

I hope that helps all you Huffy buyers but really, I will never use any Huffy for a motorized bicycle build again, they are made "Wallmart Cheap" these days and though they might last you 1000 miles don't count on not spending more to get there than you could by starting with a good bike in the first place.
I did the same with my stock cranny, problem there was that the chain connected to the engine was WAY too close to my rear tire, in fact it has rubbed on my tire and shaved a small amount off the tire off, I dont like it, im pretty sure I will need a different rim all together along with a mm hub adaptor,HANDS DOWN

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Way old topic (2010) and the only Huffy I ever did until now...

It's not a Cranbrook, it's a Nel Lusso I took in trade for $100 off one of my new Macargi builds. It's problem like most was everything Huffy was in the coaster brake hub self destructing.

It also had the engine drive sprocket mounted off-line with the engine which had a bad joke of a front mount and I don't even know if the HT or whatever it is engine is any good yet but I like the frame and just re-laced the back wheel with a $50 gasbike HD hub with hub mounted screw on drive sprocket, band brake, and pedal side freewheel.

That won't help you with your cranny problem now but maybe something to think about when your rear wheel self destructs too as the cranbrook is a handsome steel frame.