Intake Manifold Shorter VS Longer

GoldenMotor.com

circleball

Aug 24, 2010
south texas (sea level)
A shorter intake manifold will be leaner (less gas) than a longer intake manifold, richer (more gas)

(i had been curious and found nothing on the matter in plain, easy, straight forward answers. So here we go.)

for example: if you have the smallest jet you can find and already tuned the carb with the needle (if you have one of those carbs). and you are still a bit rich on the mixture, try using a shorter intake manifold, and vise versa.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
only thing I know for sure about manifold length is that if your engine vibrates a lot, a longer manifold will foam the fuel in the carb bowl & make the engine sputter

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A shorter intake manifold will be leaner (less gas) than a longer intake manifold, richer (more gas)

(i had been curious and found nothing on the matter in plain, easy, straight forward answers. So here we go.)

for example: if you have the smallest jet you can find and already tuned the carb with the needle (if you have one of those carbs). and you are still a bit rich on the mixture, try using a shorter intake manifold, and vise versa.
Who told you that? The length of your intake manifold won't effect the jetting much, but it will have an effect on your powerband.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
More volume in the intake tract usually helps low end power and smoothness in small piston port two strokes. It seems to give a ram air effect when the air column slams into the closing port.
Bigger/longer intake=better low end.
Unless the engine is highly tuned this is a good rule of thumb.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I prefer the shorty intake... Most of the aftermarket intakes that are sold now have a spiraled plenum. They atomize the fuel charge better and the result is a smoother, faster running engine. Plus they just look cooler then the stock manifold! (^)