RT carb, Something You May Want To Know...

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
When I realised that I had to dip my air filter in a varsol bath I took the filter off and noticed grit inside my carb, something I almost expected and knew the reason why. (and should have done something ASAP!)

The choke lever!

It is a vector for unfiltered air to get sucked in and I verified it by noticing some grit on the choke lever right by the slot hole on the inside. Not only that but there was enough grit on the inside of my filter and rubber mount to cause concern for me.
So I rubber cemented the thing shut for now, just not going to use it, at least until I figure out a better way to be able to use it.

Another thing of concern, something my brother pointed out that is VERY hard to spot, where the accordion type filter element is glued into the metal disc(s), (the small one for me) there may be gaps where there is insufficient glue where unfiltered air can get in, I used-seal all to seal the gaps shut.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Toadmund, I run a RT and when I ordered it I did so over the phone personally talking to you too Wayne when I made the order .and he told me this air filter is not for off road or anything that I would have to get a finer one . so what I did was I went to Walmart and bought a piece of quarter inch air conditioner foam the replacement for for window unit it's like 16 by 24 the cost a dollar 49 .needless to say I have enough foam rubber the stuff inside a hundred air filters it's cheap it repels gasoline oil and you can cut any size you want and it won't restricted air it works well .I even gave some of my friends .so you might consider it and look at your air filter holdin up to the light and look inside then put the foam in there and look up to it you'll see no light and that is true air conditioning your filter . LOL and another thing you should not war she's filters out with any kind of solvent you should blow them out with an air hose from the inside out gently because it is supposed to be surgical mesh .

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I had kind of the same idea, was looking at furnace filters.
I had the idea of getting some metal bug screen and bending that into an accordian shape with the filter medium in it, and then mounting that into some sort of can to make my own unit.

Can I have a violin please!

But I am broke, my unemployment benefits ran out about over a month ago and there are no jobs around here, but I still have bills and house payments, therefore, I must find stuff like this, it'll take time, but I will get the stuff I need, or a jyab and I'll buy the stuff.
Whichever comes first, hopefully a job (that doesn't suck).