2 stroke engine orientation

GoldenMotor.com

denmasardhy

Feb 16, 2013
Indonesia
dear builders,

i have 2 strokes engine and need your advice here. can i change the cylinder orientation together with the cylinder block (both turn 180 deg) and get the same crankshaft rotation?

my new engine is having the carb at front and exhaust at rear. the crankshaft rotation is counterclockwise from PTO side. since the carb at front side, it will risk more for dust and water splash during raining.

thanks in advance

regards,
denmasardhy

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Just look up jug rotation in the Google custom search, it has and can be done.

My brother wants to do this.

One would think it would ram more air into the carb it it had an open type (no cover) filter mesh with a scoop.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You'll need to re-match the transfer ports on the cylinder to the openings on the case, and you'll also need to rotate the piston. The piston has an arrow on the crown which should always face towards the exhaust port.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Or you could just mount the motor the way gasbike promotes their GT bike frame with the frame gas tank.

The funniest thing about their picture is the guy that photo chopped that motor on the frame, how can you make a picture of something and not know how it is supposed to work?

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
norman the forum god did it first, as far as i know, and i took his idea a few steps further, and have built a bunch of bikes that way.

do a search for "backwards engine experiment" and you'll get all the answers you need.

now i wanna figure out how well they run horizontally. just gotta figure out the chain line.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
norman the forum god did it first, as far as i know, and i took his idea a few steps further, and have built a bunch of bikes that way.

do a search for "backwards engine experiment" and you'll get all the answers you need.

now i wanna figure out how well they run horizontally. just gotta figure out the chain line.
Hahahha Bard, you never cease to make me laugh with your witty banter, thanks for that ;-}

Ohh, and what about mounting the motor upside down from the top bar?
There's a challenge for ya.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's almost the idea. :)

i had a girl's frame and chopped out the lower down tube, mounted the rear motor mount to the upper down tube, so the engine sat tilted forward like a moped.

i gave up for now, though. i'd have to run a jackshaft up behind the seat so the chain goes up and then back down to the tire.

way too much work to make something look so goofy.

it would be a cool motor position, though. you'd have the exhaust come straight down and bend underneath the bike, with the carb sitting pretty up top...