Selfmade long exhaust pipe?

GoldenMotor.com

Camaro8000

Sep 23, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Hi,

just a short question: can I extend my standart exhaust like I marked it in the picture attached to this post (Photoshop skills yeah) without any performance loss? I'm living in Berlin, and it's actually very hard to get motorized bike parts here in Germany (strict laws...), so I'm trying to make a long exhaust pipe myself. ;)

Camaro / Jonas

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Yes you can extend the pipe with no real loss of performance.

All you need to do is make sure it clears the pedals/crank, and support it out toward the rear.

3/4" electrical conduit works well for extended pipes. It is easily bent with a conduit bender and it can be welded or brazed. I'm not sure what the German equivalent of our 3/4" conduit, technically called EMT, is but they should have something similar.

Cut the muffler off of the pipe leaving enough to weld the conduit to, and use the exhaust flange at the engine and the bend for the forward section.

Some builders have used flexible pipe, some have tried copper and a few have even used sections of handlebars for pipe. Use your imagination and show us what you come up with.

Tom