intake info

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a nt speed carb with a 80cc engine.I'm forced to use a offset(z tube) intake because of frame.My question is it being longer will it lean it out or make it richer?I would like to also know if it being longer will it help low end or top speed?Thanks guys

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
my riding buddy has the "z" intake as well...he used a pipe cutter to take off about 1/4 inch and he says its stronger on the low end...ive done this with a regular intake and havent noticed much if any power gains at all...just my opinion

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well before the z tubes come out I read in this forum like somewhere in 2007 or 08 they were saying it was better with a longer intake on low end.Now there not saying that what's up with that.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
heres the thing that we all need to remember...everything put on this forum is solely informational and in peoples experience with their own personal bikes...and sometimes people post "results" before really giving the modification or whatever a chance to become one with the engine...ive seen members post something that they love, then 3 days later they are saying worst mistake and never shouldve done that...

be careful...use common sense and some proven methods and ur engine will last...but more importantly do for your engine what you want ur engine to do for you...its that simple...its not a rocket, its a helper motor...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Longer intake tract CAN (not will) improve low end torque, but it needs to be much longer to really have any effect. It's a matter of tuning to fit the engine.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
An engine is nothing more than an air pump. You draw air in and push air out, in between the in and out you have a controlled explosion that powers that pump. Now this of course is simplified in what it does, but the better you can move the air in and out the more power you can get.

This is what we all want to do to some point or another, produce more power. But we need to do it in proven and tested ways. Find a book on tuning a two stroke and then you can squeeze out ever last ounce of power you want to or at least try to.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I just want to let people that have the offset intake (z tube)being new doesn't mean that it can't leak at the welds.I had one of the longer one's but it came out right by the seat tube the carb was very tight fit.So I order a little bit shorter one and it fit perfect,but it had the leak right at the last weld before the carb went on,I re solder it and it worked and seal it .