Spark plug/electrical problem...

GoldenMotor.com

blunted429

Jan 22, 2013
Seattle
My bike has been running for a couple months. Died while ridin in heavy rain. I made new BETTER quality spark plug coil head thing. didnt work. so i got a new coil and didnt work. so i ordered a new magneto and it def should work. wil find out in 6 days....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My bike has been running for a couple months. Died while ridin in heavy rain. I made new BETTER quality spark plug coil head thing. didnt work. so i got a new coil and didnt work. so i ordered a new magneto and it def should work. wil find out in 6 days....
You may have shorted out rhe magneto coil, and burned it up in the rain. A good coil has about 35 ohms across the black, and blue wires.

Edit, this was error. Should be 320- 350 ohm.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
for HTs that should be 320-350ohms
Thanks, that's correct. I've got a bad case of CRS (can't remember s#!t). I've been telling everyone 35 ohms duuh. I just checked one and it's 327 ohms on the blue wire.

320 to 350 ohms is what you're looking for on a magneto coil.

blunted429

Jan 22, 2013
Seattle
You may have shorted out rhe magneto coil, and burned it up in the rain. A good coil has about 35 ohms across the black, and blue wires.

Edit, this was error. Should be 320- 350 ohm.
ohh so. is the magneto coil inside/part of the "magneto Loop set"?? i am guessing it may be the rolled up wire??

ant12

Jan 23, 2013
perth
I have a motorized bike 80cc with a boost bottle and speed carb with nos and I had had it for a year and I have changed my cdi box 3 times and the magneto coil 1.:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ohh so. is the magneto coil inside/part of the "magneto Loop set"?? i am guessing it may be the rolled up wire??
The magneto is actually two parts. One is the horse shoe shaped piece that is stationary and screws to the engine case behind the magneto cover, left side of engine. It is a coil of wires around a laminated steel core.
The other part is the rotating magnet, called the 'rotor' which attaches to the end of the crankshaft and spins as the engine runs.
Check here> http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4566714_a-magneto-work.html for a complete explanation of how it works and produces an electrical current.

The ignition system on a 2 stroke engine differs a little in that we use a CDI, capacitive discharge circuit which is a solid state device that increases the voltage produced by the magneto to fire the spark plug. (make it spark) :)

Tom

Last edited: