Any tank ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

Davedamato

Jan 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Almost done with my magna rip curl with a 49cc two stroke. I want to put a more customized looking tank on that suits the look it has going so far. Any ideas?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Look for a small motorcycle fuel tank. Kid's dirt bikes, especially earlier ones made of steel instead of plastic offer some good choices. Lot's of them on fleabay and Craig's list.
If you're fortunate enough to have a motorcycle salvage yard in your area take a stroll around there.
Yamaha MX 80 comes to mind also Suzuki Jr. had some great looking little tanks.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'll be honest and say I don't think you can improve much on the proportions you have there. The only thing I can think of as an alternative would be to have a drum type tank crossways behind the seat.

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm working on a vintage 1980 Honda XR80 tank for my sons bike.

Here's some things to look out for if your tempted to bid on a vintage tank or find one used locally.

1. Do you have at least on clear picture of the inside of the tank? If light too no rust, move to number 2. If you see heavy rust on the inside, walk away and don't look back.
2. Does the tank in quesiton say it comes with a gas cap and petcock? Are both in 100% usable condition. If not having to buy then can jack up your real world tank cost.
3. Going back to pictures, how does the tank mount to the motorcycle it came off of? Can you "imagineer" those mounts to work on your bike in some way?
4. Visit a online vintage motorcycle parts seller and verify that you can get replacement gas caps and or the original rubber tank mounts. I discovered that some bikes, use a tank gas cap that you can't get anymore and because of how they mount to the tank, nothing exists in the aftermarket. Be carefull.

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think this would look good but its out of stock. Could email Treetland and see when theyll be back in. https://www.treatland.tv/puch-ranger-red-gas-tank-p/puch-red-ranger-gas-tank.htm Searching mini bike tank on ebay i found several like this un. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Honda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4607620512&vxp=mtr
The puch tank has some advantages over the ebay honda tank
1.No rust in the tank
2. No time and money to restore
3.It's rear mount is higher. On our Honda tank, I had to cut off the rear mount to reposition it.

But I see some disadvantages with the puch tank however
1. Gas cap? if it's not included, how much to buy?
2. How will you mount it in the front. I think I can see front mounting slots in the 2nd pic. If they are, how do you get the rubber inserts that would likely slot into them.
3. At 19" long, that's a awfully long tank for most bikes. You might want to do some kink of makeshift mockup to make sure it's proportion's have a look your ok with.

ljg17

Nov 23, 2010
NorCal
I could not agree more as I made every single mistake listed below, the only one I was able to overcome was the mounting part. Had a beautiful tank, but full of rust, no cap, thought that would be easy-wrong next to impossible to find. saw the cost of a new petcock, and decided to stick with the stock tank. I love the look of a more stylized tank, but it isn't cheap or easy.

I'm working on a vintage 1980 Honda XR80 tank for my sons bike.

Here's some things to look out for if your tempted to bid on a vintage tank or find one used locally.

1. Do you have at least on clear picture of the inside of the tank? If light too no rust, move to number 2. If you see heavy rust on the inside, walk away and don't look back.
2. Does the tank in quesiton say it comes with a gas cap and petcock? Are both in 100% usable condition. If not having to buy then can jack up your real world tank cost.
3. Going back to pictures, how does the tank mount to the motorcycle it came off of? Can you "imagineer" those mounts to work on your bike in some way?
4. Visit a online vintage motorcycle parts seller and verify that you can get replacement gas caps and or the original rubber tank mounts. I discovered that some bikes, use a tank gas cap that you can't get anymore and because of how they mount to the tank, nothing exists in the aftermarket. Be carefull.

Davedamato

Jan 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Eek thanks for all the tips, didn't realize it would be so complicated... I'll stick with what I've got for now and keep an eye out for something that meets all of the requirements before I dive in.

BarnstormCyclewerks

Sep 19, 2012
Maryland