CDI Interference

GoldenMotor.com

Weldz4U

Oct 17, 2012
California
I upgraded my CDI to a Jaguar CDI, and it smoothed out the vibration quite a bit as well as providing better performance.

The problem that I am having is that since putting it in I am not able to use my spedometer (neither wired or wireless) when the engine is running as it throws the spedo into a flashing/restarting fit.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

:-||

Thanks!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Keep the speedo wiring as far away from the ignition wiring as humanly possible.
Your speedo experiencing RF interference. The other way is to shield the speedo wiring with a wire braided sheathing with one end of the sheathing grounded to the bicycle frame.
Think of the looks of stainless braided cables as seen on alot of custom motorcycles.
Sometimes none of that will work anyways, the speedo head unit itself is just too sensitive.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a lot of electrical interference on my bike, due to the fact that there are multiple grounds to frame. I ended having so many problems with my wireless speedo I had to remove it, and have gone without a speedo for a few months now. I do however have an Android phone with gps, and there are a plethora of speedo apps available for android phones, most of them free. The app I am going to be using is called Ulysse Speedometer, in case anyone is interested. I went on Amazon and bought a handlebar mount for my phone for $6 or so shipped. It got here today, and was surprisingly decent quality for the money. I figure, a new gps speedo costs anywhere from $120 to over 200. I already had the phone, and the mount only cost $6, and now I have my own gps speedo, albeit not as pretty or sleek as the ones they sell for bikes, but a heck of a lot cheaper. Nothing can interfere with it, and it will never lie to me.

Weldz4U

Oct 17, 2012
California
Thanks guys!

Actually I think that I have a few ferrites laying around (somewhere), and the stainless braiding would probably look nice under the blue led lighting at night!
Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade my phone, but I think that the bigger display, as well as turn by turn direction capabilities would be awesome!

If anyone has any other ideas, keep 'em coming! I am going to go through them till I find 1 or more that work, and probably keep the more stylish solution (or cheapest!).

Once again Thanks for the info!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's possible that considering all the potential features & functions, upgrading your phone may prove to be the "cheapest" solution overall... I've been using the 'Ulysse Speedometer' https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer for a few thousand miles now & I've gotta say it's a good app for the money, even the free version is quite good (there's very little difference between the two).

I very much like it's overlay option - enabling you to utilize GPS Google Maps (also free) or any other app (music or w/e) while still seeing the speed readout, some "in flight" examples;

Weldz4U

Oct 17, 2012
California
Those are nice shots!
I am envious... If I do get a chance to upgrade my phone (sometime in the near future), I will definitely use that option.
I especially like that it is a large screen and clearly visible.

Thanx again!