choke problem

GoldenMotor.com

tredye

Feb 1, 2011
norfolk va
i have a 48cc grubee engine with maybe a hour on it ,but i have to constintly adjust the choke lever on the handle bar to keeep up speed and when i let off the gas i have to push the choke fully open to keep it running or it will die ,what can i adjust to help this issue thanks

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
NOT a choke problem !

Apparently the choke works dandy! :)

Probably a major intake leak at carb to manifold, or manifold to cylinder.
Next is carb adjustments... read those threads. :)
Third probability is crud and gunk in the NEW tank getting into carb.
..clean it out real well, clean out carb well, install fuel filter inline and THEN try the carb adjustments.

Good luck
rc

tredye

Feb 1, 2011
norfolk va
i have adjusted the carb and do have a fuel filter manifold is tight and so is the card but half to keep working the choke to get it to smooth out to get top end and then when i slow down and pull in the clutch to stop with the choke set at the point the engine smooths out to get top end it cuts off and i have to move the choke again to get it to start again

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All the choke does is add more fuel. You are manipulating the choke to act as a work around for another issue. The most common issue is an air leak.
It could be...
1. Where the carb attaches to the manifold.
2. Where the manifold attaches to the cylinder.
3. A crankshaft seal leak.

It also could be that the carb needs tuning which could involve re-jetting it.
Which carb did your kit come with? There are many different ones possible, depending on which factory made it and what day of the week that factory bought 10,000 carbs from some random carb factory that had the cheapest bid at the moment.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The problem is you got a CNS carb. Throw in in the trash, and buy a NT for your bike and it will run fine.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the NT carb is the best stock carb for these engines if you want to do performance upgrades the RT carb from dax or a mikuni carb would be your best options the CNS V3 EPA carb is a pain and somewhat useless