Schwinn Typhoon-99cc Predator

GoldenMotor.com

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Having bought a used Schwinn Jaguar with a China Girl and riding it around last year, I decided I wanted to build a better bike and go with a 4 stroke this time for reliability. I was lucky to find a 63 Schwinn Typhoon on eBay for $100 that was local to me so no shipping to have to pay for. The front wheels are heavy built with thick gauge spokes but I plan to go with disc brakes on the front wheels so the hub will be changed out. The rear wheels have a CB-110 hub but I’m not sure that it will take speeds of over 40mph with the thinner spokes on there so that will be changed as well.

I also bought a Suntour XCR mountain bike forks (1 1/8” tube) and with the help from Genuine Bicycle Products, I was able to use their Retro Ryder Headset to install the forks on the Schwinn. For those with American Schwinn bikes who want MB forks and can’t find 1” forks, check them out. The Schwinn now has a nice raked look to it I think.

Last month, I went to visit family in Washington and while going through Oregon, stopped off at Harbor Freight and bought a 99cc Predator motor for $80. I will be removing the governor for now and then later on I may do some other mods on it. I also have a Clinton moped fuel tank that I was going to install on the Jaguar but once I put it on the Typhoon, it looked too good to remove so it’s staying and hopefully I can find another tank for the Jaguar.

I’m currently researching my options for the wheels and transmission. Right now, I’m leaning towards a Q-matic drive with a 56 tooth sprocket. I will update this when I can.

Attachments

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Well it’s been a while but here is the latest update.

I managed to get an AGK motor mount for the Predator and added a couple items and now have a new motor mount that I can adjust if I want too. A new Q-matic was added as well.

I also found a kid who was parting out a Honda Metropolitan moped and bought the handle bar controls and throttle. The left side has a locking lever for the brake (would be great for a 2 stroke clutch) and has brake switches for brake lights plus headlight and kill switches. I shortened the throttle cable and made a new arm for the carb and now have the throttle working. Next up will be a wider crank, new handlebars and some new wheels.

I'm hoping to have more time to work on this as I just finished with another Predator build - a 420cc electric start into a 1968 Sears Tractor.

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I had bought the tank at first to replace my leaking 2-stroke tank on my Schwinn Jaguar but when I placed it on the Typhoon, it was made for this bike and so the Jag sits waiting for another tank.

I mounted a set of Reproduction Whizzer handlebars this weekend and remounted the controls. I like the feel of the bars but now sitting on the seat feels different.

I just scored a set of 17” Puch moped wheels tonight so now the next step is to merge these with my Schwinn rims. I may have to do some more research as I’ve never built wheels before.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I like this build alot. You are off to an excellent start!
That tank really does look good!
Lacing and truing wheels is not hard, just time consuming until you get the feel for it.
Good luck with it, and thank you for updating us with your progress!