Felt 1903 2 stroke or 4 stroke build can't decide

GoldenMotor.com

Fishmugger

Sep 22, 2012
San deigo
Well pick up a brand new felt 1903 in the box on eBay. Was going to go all out build with KW machine parts for a grubee 2 stroke . Now thinking how nice to put a reliable Honda with a 4g transfer box . Really be nice to use jack shaft and redo rear hub with a 3 speed but really drive up the cost of the build . Only want to do this once and not look back . What say you?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Your in San Diego. Phantom Bikes is very close to you. Check out their shop and parts for what you're doing. It will make your life simpler. 49cc HS 4 stroke motor, modified 4G trans for reliability, exhaust and motor mount for the 1903 style frame. and its all ment to work togather. They have done the hard work for you. Need a good front brake though. SA 90mm or get one of the Monarch springers and parts for a front disk. EDIT: I have a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke build. I havnt ridden the 2 stroke for MONTHS and wont again till it has a nice 4 stroke in it.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well pick up a brand new felt 1903 in the box on eBay. Was going to go all out build with KW machine parts for a grubee 2 stroke . Now thinking how nice to put a reliable Honda with a 4g transfer box . Really be nice to use jack shaft and redo rear hub with a 3 speed but really drive up the cost of the build . Only want to do this once and not look back . What say you?
4 stroke all the way!
or a 4 stroke shift kit is even better.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I know what you mean by do it once but unless you build and then quickly sell it the changes will keep coming. My 1903 build started in May and I consider it done(ish) now although there's a few parts on the bench waiting. Done, but not really. I wanted it on the road so I could have some fun and I wanted to get going on a fairly basic build so I went two stroke, KW mounts, etc. The "plan" is swap out the engine next year after I sort out a drive train on the bench. Until then, I can ride and wrench too! There are a lot of nice 1903 builds on the forum, plus the Phantom Ghost that was mentioned. Also take a look at the Ridley 1903 for ideas.

I like my ride as is but the next drive train needs to be something a little different. That's just me though. Good luck on the build and great score on the bike! They don't make that model anymore.

Fishmugger

Sep 22, 2012
San deigo
Simply put........4-stroke. Why would you think otherwise? ;)
Noticed your a builder . Is it worth while to purchase a Honda and bolt on a g4 drive or go with the cheap china engine. The china kit comes with nothing I will use besides the motor and drive.
How hard to link up the carb on the Honda.
Anyone ever try thumb throttle like on a quad so as to keep stock grips.
Not looking for speed and live in very hilly area . 25 mph plenty fast for this old man.
Any info appreacitaded

Fishmugger

Sep 22, 2012
San deigo
Simply put........4-stroke. Why would you think otherwise? ;)
Scotto----Noticed your a builder . Is it worth while to purchase a Honda and bolt on a g4 drive or go with the cheap china engine. The china kit comes with nothing I will use besides the motor and drive.
How hard to link up the carb on the Honda.
Anyone ever try thumb throttle like on a quad so as to keep stock grips.
Not looking for speed and live in very hilly area . 25 mph plenty fast for this old man.
Any info appreacitaded

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
dont bother with a chinagirl...the felt frames dont like them at all...go with a hs or honda...and a 4g...maybe an ezm...ive got a hs and 4g in my mp and absolutely love it

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
You're entitled to an opinion like everyone else it just seems that the opinions being stated are in absolute terms and I don't think it's really that clear cut. There are good reasons for either approach. There are fine examples of two cycle and four stroke builds on the forum and to say that one of those choices is unequivocally junk where he other is not is simply incorrect.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
There are 2 strokes; then there are 2 strokes. The worst quality China girl will waste your time money and enthuseasm for the hobby. The best running Morini will make you very happy indeed. I think it boils down to what your comfortable with and what you like. Im a 4 stroke guy. I've owned exactly one 2 stroke MC ( RD350 and it was a hoot! ) but I've always prefered the 4 stroke torque on demand and the lack of the ringie dingie sound. Im just happier with 4 strokes and so thats what Im sticking with.