I broke my Hau Sheng 142F - advice/opinion

GoldenMotor.com

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
I was riding my newly assembled Grubee 4 stroke when the engine made a loud ping sound and died. I pulled the spark plug off and looked at the head while rotating the shaft and it did not move; Most likely broke the connecting rod. So now I'm wondering if I fix it that it's going to break again after another 50 miles, or should I cut my losses and consider getting a more durable engine. If I get the Honda 50, will I be facing the same problem?

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
turbojoe,

I am not implying your stupid because I've actually done that myself. Possibility of returning the engine to the seller? Many forum members here have thousands of miles on their Huangshengs. Forum member AZbill has 17K on his engine: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40187&highlight=huasheng

I am over 250 lbs myself and have never had a problem with my 2 stroker. I am planning on building a couple bikes with Huanshengs.

Here's a cautionary note from a dealer that sells the Huansheng:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40327&highlight=huasheng

Oh by the way, you can't have these small engines at WOT going down hill or you'll over rev them and kill them.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Might as well pull it apart and see for yourself. A Huasheng conrod is $20 at B-E.

If you need an engine assembly diagram, let me know, I'll send you a PM.
JEEZ! Is that what they look like in there? I'd sware it was already broken! laff Seriously though: Whats the harm in ripping it apart for a post mortum? Least we'll know what happend and if you can fix it for a few bucks what the heck? As to adding oil... I once had a very experienced mech rebuild my supercharged Mazda Miata motor after blowing it up on his dyno.. When they went to start it nobody checked the oil pressure. Oil cooler araingment on this particular car has a one way check valve. Yup. Hoses to the cooler were reversed and NO oil pressure. Ran great till the exhaust cam siezed and snapped in two. :-|| Even the best of us can have a very bad day.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Thanks for all the replies. The engine is supposedly still under warranty so that is why I haven't taken it apart. I'm trying decide if I want to try and get it replaced or just get a Honda and salvage the carb off the HS.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the replies. The engine is supposedly still under warranty so that is why I haven't taken it apart. I'm trying decide if I want to try and get it replaced or just get a Honda and salvage the carb off the HS.
Who did you buy it from?
Let us know how they treat you about the warranty.

Huasheng's are generally good engines, would like to know
what happened to yours?
thanks

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yeah, Huashengs tend to be very reliable, but that's if you don't rev them over 7500-8K for extended periods. Even Hondas aren't immune to overrev damage.

My brother had to rebuild his GXH50 at the 1500 mile mark, he toasted his conrod due to lots of 8+K running time.

The power level drops off after about 7250 RPM, so there's really no point in revving them much beyond that without mods.

You might have just got a lemon tho.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
I got in contact with bicycle-engines.com and I'm sending it back. They will either fix it or replace it, which is fine by me. They said they didn't have any engines stock at the moment so it may take a month or so if they replace it.

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
Uh, yeah, I put oil in it. I'm not that stupid. But I am a big guy; I weigh about 245 lbs. and the Hausheng may not be up to the task of hauling my fat butt around.
I have the same engine, I weigh 244, the engine is 3 years old with 5000 miles on it and it gets a shot of NOS should it be needed.