I have no idea what I'm doing...but I want to do it.

GoldenMotor.com

zachtbhood

Aug 18, 2012
Dubuque, Iowa
Hello! This is my first attempt at this whole motor-bike thing, and I'm just looking for some advice from people who know whats going on.

I have a Stihl FS 280k, 39cc two stroke weedwacker; I don't really know much about it besides that. I also may have access to a small chainsaw or lawnmower engine, but I dont really know anything about them..and they seem a lot heavier. However, I'm not entirely sure if 39cc is going to put out enough power...then again, I dont really know how much power I need in the first place.

I'm looking to buy a (albeit cheap) cruiser from Walmart.

It sure seems like using a kit would be a lot easier...but this whole "DIY" thing seems waaaaay more fun/satisfying. I'm thinking rigging it up as a chain/sprocket drive instead of friction would work better, but seems more complicated.

I'm a machinery technician (well, in training but still) for the Coast Guard, so I have access to both TIG and MIG welding, plenty of tools and shop space and enough technical knowledge from my co-workers to figure this whole thing out.

So, thank you for checking out my thread, and I look forward to any and all suggestions/pointers!

Last edited:

zachtbhood

Aug 18, 2012
Dubuque, Iowa
...i didnt know you could either, but there was definitely a post there. o_o

****, looking at it now, it seems I made an OPless thread? wtffff

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Try reposting your original thread, or as much of it as you can remember. Are you posting from a phone? I have had trouble in the past with losing text when posting from a phone.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
depends on fi the wacker is cone clutch or not.

I'd prob run it friction style. It'd be enough power, my 33cc only hitting 3,500rpm due to bad carb got me to 26 no prob. Then wheel seized after so not sure how much faster (7k rpm would be 48 with my gearing that my motor kit came with)

So not a wacker motor, but mine is less CC then your talking bout. Sthl should be nice

zachtbhood

Aug 18, 2012
Dubuque, Iowa
depends on fi the wacker is cone clutch or not.

I'd prob run it friction style. It'd be enough power, my 33cc only hitting 3,500rpm due to bad carb got me to 26 no prob. Then wheel seized after so not sure how much faster (7k rpm would be 48 with my gearing that my motor kit came with)

So not a wacker motor, but mine is less CC then your talking bout. Sthl should be nice
I honestly dunno about friction drive. It really seems like a chain/sprocket drive would be waaaaay more powerful when it comes down to it...and look a lot better, too.

that stihl,if in good tune should push you along at a good clip.
Im hoping it is. I havent gotten to fool around with the 'wacker yet, so Im not sure if theres any problems with it. Hopefully not, though!

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
friction drive is alot easier with smaller displacement motors like weed whackers and chain saws, you may be able to do a chain drive set up if the motor has a clutch in it tho

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Having shop tools and in training is way cool. You can do almost any thing you want in the confines of the engine and bicycle. Not knowing some thing is impossible, often results in great innovation. Be sure to check out the DIY section. http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

There are so many ways to go, is hard to give you a definitive answer. Because the only limit is imagination. You will find a way and about a hundred speed bumps and puzzles. But that is just part of the fun.

Build some thing cool!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.