Predator Torque Ate My Q-Matic Pulley

GoldenMotor.com

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Yesterday I had to replace the 5" rear pully because torque from my 99cc Predator had sheared the 3/16" Key and innner hole of the pulley. After getting everything torn apart I was a little taken back at how the motor had done what it did. Think Im gonna have to look for pulleys that are made of something other than Zamak #3 material, preferably steel. Im sure its only a matter of time before it happens again. I have 100 hours on my Predator and if I conservatively consider it I have about 2000 miles on everything with a 9.6 to 1 final gear ratio. But its back to running today so I am happy.

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the new steel pulleys will solve that dilemma ;)
I believe the way different metals expand with heat is what was causing the issue

I was having probs keeping the setscrew tight, and once it allows the pulley to move a little, the problem just magnifies until the point you are at :(

I have 300+ miles on my steel pulley and it hasn't moved 1 iota (^)

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
Thank you guys. I'm about to buy a pulley from Granger for my homemade setup and was wondering if there was something I should investigate before buying what I expect to get Friday. I have more than once found myself in the position of "WOW I WISH I HAD KNOWN THAT YESTERDAY ".