No start

GoldenMotor.com

drewkuch

Jul 19, 2012
Kansas
I bought this 80cc engine kit brand new last summer (2011)...installed it myself, went to start it, no luck. Took me about 1 hour to get it somewhat running, but only for about 5 seconds.

I put it away for the winter. I just got it back out tonight to mess with it. Fresh gas, still no luck. Not even wanting to try and turn over. running about 16:1 ratio (new engine) I was told to run this at first.

I have the wires black to black, blue to blue...the yellow from the Kill Switch spliced to the blue, the black from the kill switch spliced to the black. the white is capped off. This kit didn't come with instructions, but this is what I learned how to wire it from google.

I have a feeling it's my carb. the kit came with 2 carbs, and no intake. One carb bolts directly to the head. It's the one I'm using obviously, because I have no intake. The other carb seems to be the common carb for these kits. I need the intake to try it.

Any suggestions? buy the intake and try the other carb? 32:1? what position is choke? up or down? wired right?

thanks! -drew

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I normally don't answer questions when it's your frist post (I like people to go to the introduced yourself section.)

OK, first, take your kill switch off, to make sure you get it out of the equasion. A lot of times, they are faulty, and don't allow the bike to run. If you have already run the motor before, then move it up to 32:1. I'd be ok with 16:1 till it starts to run. But, also make sure you have a fresh spark plug plus the lead and the CDI is good, too.

Choke is up to choke. You should put it up first, make sure your pet-cock is pointing down, and hit the prime button a few times to get fuel in the bowl.

Start by pedeling slow, build up speed, let out the clutch and pull it back in. Do it a few times, and then you can see if it works. I like to put a quick bit of Marvel's mystory oil in my spark plug hole the first time I run it (if it sat for a while). It just helps lubrication a little bit, kinda keeps the piston rings lubed.

Hope it helps, man. Tinker with it until it doesn..

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I never heard of any carb bolting directly to the head. could you post pictures of this carb, please? im trying to wrap my head around the idea of a carb where fuel doesnt come directly through the intake port, since port timing is an integral part of how these engines work.