How do I remove outer bearing

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Re: outer bearing

That is the clutch shaft bearing. Line up the bearing in the retainer and use a socket that is slightly smaller then the diameter of the bearing and drive it in. Make sure the bearing is going in straight. Make sure that after you install the first bearing you install the clutch shaft before installing the second bearing. Use a bearing which is sealed on both sides. Do you have the bearings?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

The bearings are a lot easier to remove and install if you heat the case with a propane torch.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

If you are replacing the clutch shaft bearing, no heat needs to be applied. The shaft can be taped out, thus removing 1 bearing. To remove the other take a socket and extension/drift pin and tap out the remaining bearing (from inside the engine). I have never had to use heat removing a intact bearing. Once I had to use heat (cut the race off) on a bearing due to the fact that a inner wheel bearing wielded the inner race to the axle.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Bother for Common knowledge maybee?
i have a bearing squeaking and seems hard to pedal- I think it's the outer, and they don't seem to be at many of the vendor's sites.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Dang Kat I had my large gear off today to grease the ball bearings from the back side through the three holes, looked at the bearing but didn't look for a number. Looked like a 202 which has a plastic and rubber seal, if I have to change mine I'm. Going to use 6000 series bearings, they have the steel dust cover with the rubber seal.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Bother for Common knowledge maybee?
i have a bearing squeaking and seems hard to pedal- I think it's the outer, and they don't seem to be at many of the vendor's sites.
prolly because your bucking bar and that one single little ball bearing is dry and needs greased? it is always the simple stuff first.These H.T. engines can come up with some interesting squeaking noises when those to parts are dry and screeching.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
WOW! Thanks for this advice Herder!

I did what you recommended above, and put a healthy dose of heavy grease in the center of the sprocket on the bearing and packed around the "bucking bar"-(Are you sure this is the correct name for this part- the sites seem to have some descrepancy)

Anyway- WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

No more squeak- pedals SOOOO much smoother- This thing really rolls now- I'm going to do the other build before I take it out again.

I just figured it was the main bearing and went ahead and ordered that new chrome 66 from BFG that I've eyed for several years, and planned to put in a new main bearing after switching motors- just came today.

Now it's all cured- just did about 8 miles with no incident and the 27" wheels roll like a roadbike- I can hardly believe there's still a motor chain turning down there when I'm shut down. Still thoroughly recommend the 415 Trike chains- much quieter and less resistance- at least for on road use.

The chrome motor will be on the back burners for awhile- my 3 year plus old 66 is running GREAT!