engine problem

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a 48 cc sky hawk,I can't figure this engine out it's got a miss in it.I'm stumped what it can,be tryed a couple different carb on it same thing.The miss is bad enough to kill engine at idle.I have to set the idle higher to keep it from dieing and I have to keep hitting throttle to keep it running at idle.I replaced cdi and magneto didn't help too.It sound like something is hitting at low idle but the higher you rev throttle it goes away.but it just won't idle right because of it.Hope someone has some Idea's for me. Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're assuming you've tried adjusting the idle speed screw. If you have and the engine still doesn't idle there's a good bet you do have an air leak somewhere. Start at the carburetor where it attaches to the intake manifold. That area really needs to be sealed with a gasoline resistant sealer. If your carb is the NT then the slots that are cut into the area where it clamps around the intake can be the source of the leak.
Next check the intake manifold gasket at the cylinder. The kit supplied gaskets are notorious for going bad quickly. I always suggest ditching them in favor of a good automotive grade gasket material and proper torquing of the fasteners. Check the gasket mating surface of the intake manifold. Almost without exception they need to be filed or sanded flat due to that surface having a warp.
Tom