V-Twin Engine By Cherokee Motor Bikes USA

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Rumors abound regarding 2-stroke V-Twin engines, be it Acme Motor Bikes or the new upstart company Cherokee Motor Bikes in Mineral Wells Texas.

What are your thoughts about these V-Twin engines?

Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S. Could someone please post a link showing the Acme Motor Bikes youtube video of their 2-stroke V-Twin engine actually running.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I would like to see if somthing is really coming as well. The ACME thread is a couple years already.

rickenbiker

Aug 30, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Just checked out the Cherokee site, where they detail the building of a prototype V-Twin motor. A lot of effort for a butt-ugly motor.

But, that's OK--their product is probably the worst-looking "pro-built" junk I've ever seen. They need somebody with some design sense to advise them, but I do get the impression that they're a stubborn, find-your-own-way bunch.

Is that a mailbox or a gas tank? Sheeeooot!!!

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Acme Labs V-twin is two engines mated. It has two seperate cranks. Not a real V-twin.
The use of "V" to descibe an engine is based on how the cylinders exit a common crankcase, not based on the number of parts in the cankcase. Twin crankshaft engines have been built throughout the last 100 years, and in fact Ford applied for some patents in 2009 for a new one.
They have one great advantage over single crank engines as the two cranks are counter rotating, and can completely balance out vibration. The disadvantage is the extra mass of a second crankshaft.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Have you seen some of the real old tracker engines ( some of them are pretty ugly too .
I kinda like it ... and look at the nice round bottom ... i think it would be a good motor for a boardtracker ... sounds kinda neat ( with the mufflers on )

I'm gonna give the guy some credit for doing something cool anyways .
i wanna see a bike with one of those puppies on it .

My idea of an ugly motor ... the red cooling shrouds ( need i say more ? )

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
The use of "V" to descibe an engine is based on how the cylinders exit a common crankcase, not based on the number of parts in the cankcase. Twin crankshaft engines have been built throughout the last 100 years, and in fact Ford applied for some patents in 2009 for a new one.
They have one great advantage over single crank engines as the two cranks are counter rotating, and can completely balance out vibration. The disadvantage is the extra mass of a second crankshaft.
one example is a 1950s Ariel Square Four (1000cc)

Cycoracer8

Jul 6, 2011
Hi-Desert, So. Cal
Yup, that's a twin. I guess what I meant is that he had joined two separate engines with a plate & has timed them with one gear. The crank cases & crank shafts are also separate. It's a good attempt, but I still have a hard time accepting it as a twin cyl engine whether it's a V or not. The engines that are shown above do share a common crankcase with two separate cranks. Is there an engine that does have two separate crankcases that is only joined by an external plate considered to be a twin? I'm not sure, there could be. I've seem V 2 & V8 joined with plates & driven with a common chain, but was called a twin engine. That's about the extent of my knowledge on this topic.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
the only thing they have in common is that they are 4 strokes and have spark plugs that is all they have in common MUCH differnt

Only crank remotely similar would be a Scott crank but that is a 2stroke water cooled
Read my exact wording. I said "LIKE". I didn't say "exactly like". All I was saying is the Ariel Square 4 engine is Like two Triumph twins running together 180 degrees apart. Just a comment about the British Motorcycle industry liking their opposed twin engine design enough that someone, Ariel in this case, used two opposed twin piston set-ups running in parallel forming a "Square" engine arrangement. I think it is a cleaver design derived from someone clearly thinking about making a four cylinder engine using ideas of the then current opposed twin technology.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
cobra

the square 4 is like nothing else i have seen in british bikes and I work for a british bike shop
biggest problem with the design is the fact its air cooled. The rear cylinders would overheat caused by lack of airflow