Whizzer NE-5 front suspension spring...

GoldenMotor.com

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Hi everyone. Anyone have any experience with finding a stiffer front fork spring for a Whizzer NE-5? Mine are weak. They measure 6" high and 1.125" OD. Have not seen anyone with this problem.. Maybe I should lose some weight?? [email protected]

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Hi Quention: I tried the oil trick last fall, but it can only dampen, not support. It improved the dampening slightly, but did nothing to lift the forks. Thank you for your idea.

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Hi again, Quenton: The 'experts' tell me that putting a slug above the spring will just partiall collapse it. it kind of reminds me of a 'pre load' you see on the rear shocks of dirt bikes. I sent one spring out to a spring company and they think they can make a pair that is stiffer, but I think the $$$$ will be beyond my reach. I'll let you know the price quote.. should know something this week. Anyhow.. I can't believe I am the only person with this trouble on Whizzers. I figure it is set up for someone under 185 lbs.

Hi UFOskeptic,

I know many Whizzer owners that easily exceed 275 pounds, and haven't had anyone mention the "soft" front end. I have a Ambassador with the same front forks as the NE-r, however I check in at about 165 pounds, but the forks don't seem to be an issue. Knowing the quaility varies greatly from the Tiawan mfg. company, I can't help but wonder if only a few had the "soft" springs.

Please keep us posted on your efforts, as I am sure if you have problems others will also.

Have fun,

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Hi Quenton: I think you 'hit the jackpot" with your last posting. I never gave it a thought, but you are right, there could be quite a bit of variance between spring tension from whoever the vendor of springs is in Tiawan. Whizzer USA stocks the springs. Maybe the best solution is to just order a new pair and give that a try? Thank you again... I'm sure you figured it out.
John
[email protected]

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Good luck getting anything from Whizzer USA i placed an order over 6 weeks ago got an email confermation but never recieved any parts they don't answer the phone and won't return emails

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Hi Doug: I can get you in touch with a local Whizzer dealer here and he has a pretty decent inventory of parts if that will help. He knows Debby at Whizzer USA and maybe he can help? Let me know.
John

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a custom pair of springs that are 34% stronger than the originals. Cost with shipping was $90.00. They should be in next week. I will let you know how it works out. I have a new set of (rare and hard to find) seals that will be installed at the same time. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
John

UFOskeptic

Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
The springs from Hyde Spring worked out great! It hasn't bottomed at all. Also, I cut a few threads off of the headlight bolt to give me an added 3/8". Hope it works for you. I think with shipping, it was about $84, if memory serves me for the pair of them. John