Rixe

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
very common fork here in germany, most of the bikes in the early fifties had it, NSU, Wanderer, Zündapp, Hercules, DKW. They sell in good condition for 80-120 $ at german ebay. Thought about this fork too while planning my new 28" BTR but decided to build my own fork

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Look what I found on ebay.de although these are not complete you get an idea on what they will cost.

Hier ist eine von eBay Deutschland.
Es ist nicht komplett mit allen Teilen, fehlen einige.

Hier ist der Link unten.

Google Translate

Or try this link below:

FRANCIS BARNETT VILLIERS PRE WAR CRUISER GIRDER TYPE FRONT FORKS | eBay

Peace Crazy Horse.

very common fork here in germany, most of the bikes in the early fifties had it, NSU, Wanderer, Zündapp, Hercules, DKW. They sell in good condition for 80-120 $ at german ebay. Thought about this fork too while planning my new 28" BTR but decided to build my own fork

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I haven't seen this fork until now also on ebay.de it'a a girder fork manufacturer unknown although it's branded or has the name 3G bikes on it.

Here's the link for it below:

3G Bikes Federgabel Cruiser Beachcruiser Lowrider Springergabel 3GGG | eBay

Look what I found on ebay.de although these are not complete you get an idea on what they will cost.

Hier ist eine von eBay Deutschland.
Es ist nicht komplett mit allen Teilen, fehlen einige.

Hier ist der Link unten.

Google Translate

Or try this link below:

FRANCIS BARNETT VILLIERS PRE WAR CRUISER GIRDER TYPE FRONT FORKS | eBay

Peace Crazy Horse.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
That's a really interesting design. I love things that are designed with "form following function". I had study them for a moment to picture them mounted up and working.

I've been puzzling in my mind about how to make the readily availible Schwinn style pivot springer function as a girder. I think it would be possible by bridging across from the lower pivot point to the front strut with a solid aluminum block. Clamping around the straight front strut and attaching with a single bolt at the pivot point would stiffen them up and provide a mount location for front of the lower link. Buying another stem, cutting it off and threading it internally would get you a pivot point for the back of the upper link.

You could use something like these.....
Leaf Spring Shackles and Hangers - SummitRacing.com

or these.....
Search Results for lowering shackles - SummitRacing.com

for your links. Not exactly light weight parts, but a lot less fabrication. Add a shock from the rear of a junker department store suspension mountain bike, and your cruisin' with a girder.

MHF

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Axel,

Here in the U.S.A. that Harley is commonly known as the "Hummer". It's design was actually based on the German DKW RT 125. The British and Japanese also had thier own versions called the BSA Bantam and the Yamaha YA-1 respectively.

The Hummer actually used heavy rubber bands for springs.

MHF