Soda Bottle Fuel Tank Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I hate to go against everyone that has WAY more experience than I do, but I think this is a bad idea.

To me it just isn't safe. A metal fuel bottle is easy to use and made to hold gas. I just keep seeing the teen aged girl that was killed just a 1/2 mile from me when her ATV was struck by a drunk driver. She had gas in an unapproved container on the back of the ATV. The result was the ATV, and her, burst into flames. I think she was already dead but what if she wasn't.

I haven't ever met any of you guys on here. Not in person. But I sure as **** would feel really bad if any of you got burned really bad from one of these bottle rupturing in an accident.

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is a good point Terry and it is never wrong to bring up concern for the safety of others.

Thanks to folks like you, I now wear gloves. I had never thought about it until reading here. But my last crash, next day my hands were fine and could work. LOL, I limped but could work.

I do agree that a soda bottle is not a great choice for a permanent tank but do think it is a good option for what is being discussed. Dunno, would be great to be able to get my MBs on the front mounted bike carriers on buses here.

I really enjoy that about "here" the sharing of ideas and concern for each other.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Dan, that's what I was going to say, more or less. I do agree with Terry that fuel safety is not something to be taken lightly. Gasoline will mess you up if given the chance. However, there's nothing inherently unsafe about plastic fuel storage. While most plastic gasoline containers are HDPE, the PET plastic in a pressurized soda bottle can handle gasoline just fine.

And as you pointed out, the idea here is about their use as temporary tanks, not long-term storage. It should be noted (if it hasn't already) that the plastic seal inside most bottle caps WILL break down rather quickly from gasoline. That could cause a leak, which would be inherently dangerous.

I agree, a metal fuel bottle is better overall, but too expensive to replace every time you want to hop on a bus or a train.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I understand where everyone is coming from on this. It does make sense for what is being discussed I guess. It must be the old man in me coming out! "Now you kids be careful out there!" :)

Terry

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
Safety is always a relative matter, and any thing with two wheels and a motor is already below the curve...

That being said though, I do have a concern regarding this fuel tank. If you took a whack at it with a baseball bat, is there any chance the filler plug would pop out? (It appears to me that it would.) If so, this is a significant consideration in any crash.

Perhaps a keeper could be made out of an old screw top cap with its top partially cut out so that it would hold the plug in place?

BTW, I have used the same half litre plastic soda bottle for over 10 years with never an issue for Coleman gas for my backpacking stove. In fact I much prefer it to the metal ones sold specifically for this purpose.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Can you get away with using a small fuel container that isn't obvious (Like a Monster can with the re-useable lid, or a fanta bottle that can fit in your bag) and storing it in your passenger luggage? Or will they harass and search you based on having the bike?
I don't blame you guys for worrying about it. There are probably a dozen charges you could get for carrying a gas on a bus, even innocently.
www.threefeloniesaday.com (site theorizes that all Americans average about 3 felonies a day often wtihout knowing it)

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
A lot of r/c plane builders are using bottled water containers (small) for fuel tanks to save weight, using a similar method (hoses through cap). So if it holds up to flying around and spinning like that, it probably works fine on a mb if done carefully.

If you need disposable bottles to carry out your commuting routine, because of the bus laws, you can surely stock up on free drink bottles, esp water bottles, or buy in bulk and save them. Unopened sealed bottles surely won't be a problem to bus drivers or security.

In Cuba, kids just stick the hose in a hole in the cap, and vent around the hose (think of your mcdonalds drink with a straw) or a pinhole in cap or bottle. Someone posted a couple of the rickshaw bikes they ride with such a bottle)

I'm going to make one of these for myself, out of epoxy-putty! (or maybe a rubber cork from a new wine bottle).

I think I can make one from JB Putty by cutting the bottom off a bottle (funnel shape left) and cramming it full of the putty, to make the cap, then razor cutting off the bottle and cutting a notch for an o-ring or 2, and drilling the thing for my hose types (narrow fit) I will leave a mushroom shape so I can get it out for fueling. hahaha. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
As a fellow passenger, I'm sort of in favor of the ban on flammable liquids in cargo holds. And if they can smell gas at all, even if the container's empty, it's not allowed. I've never managed to wash one enough to remove the smell (not while traveling anyway). So I wanted a solution that didn't require actually transporting anything hazardous.

As for the plug popping out, it will if you jump up and stomp on it a bunch of times, but because of the narrow neck, there's not much pressure on the plug itself. It will support my weight easily (185 pounds) without moving an inch. That's why pressurized containers don't have big openings. I originally made one with threads to hold it on, but found they weren't needed, and that the threads were the biggest variance in bottles. So the threadless design fits more containers and the force required to pop it out is enough force to pop a threaded cap off as well. The trick id designing the o-ring seal with a lot of squish...you actually have to twist it in on most bottles.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72RMqiTnoY
"GEET generator runs on Beer and Coffee" (really runs on diluted, aerated gasoline with beer and coffee in it, but great parlor trick)

Look up the Snork thread for mb comedy (and unrelated jokes).

Merle Haggard comes to mind when you mention a bike motor running on beer. :)

RAINBOW STEW
Merle Haggard

There's a big, brown cloud in the city,
And the countryside's a sin.
The price of life is too high to give up,
Gotta come down again.
When the world wide war is over and done,
And the dream of peace comes true.
We'll all be drinkin' free Bubble-Up,
Eatin' that rainbow stew.

When they find out how to burn water,
And the gasoline car is gone.
When an airplane flies without any fuel,
And the sunlight heats our home.
One of these days when the air clears up,
And the sun comes shinin' through.
We'll all be drinkin' free Bubble-Up,
An' eatin' that rainbow stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
That brings us one step closer to a motorbike that can run on beer.
LOL, comedy gold, funniest line I've seen here, don't know how I missed it.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks for the info re: o ring squish and pressurized vessels. I learn a lot on this website! I think this is useful information because if you are making a cross country trip or major trip on a mb , this might help someone who needs to use a city bus or charter bus to cross major bridges (like the highway on I-55 across the MS river) or avoid dangerous areas (though buses can be pretty dangerous too! I'll spare you the politics).

If you have to ride the city bus frequently, see if you are allowed to carry propane 1lb cans. If so, there is a LEHR green propane 4 stroke engine that mates with staton drives etc.

Last edited: