This one's for you Deacon :) friction drive scooter

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I know this isn't really relevant to motorized BICYCLES, but I know all of you are good sports about supporting homemade motorized projects in general, and there is no better place on the web to share this than RIGHT HERE.

My friend gave me his razor e-500 electric scooter a little more than a week ago and I got bored with the low range on the electric. With the good brakes and solid frame I decided it would be GREAT for a friction drive, and an added plus, there were four threaded holes where the fender was so that's what I attached my lower mount to.

My power plant is the good old 31cc ryobi, much loved by home builders and friction tinkerers. I cleaned it up really good and made a kill switch mount for it. I also removed the racheting mechanism in a spare grip shift I had and I used that as the twist throttle. The little return spring on the carb was not enough on its own, so I took a governor spring from my HF engine, drilled a hole in the air filter housing, and held the end with a brake tensioner and a little clip I made from a nail.

Up until this point the project was free, but when I went to buy flat stock and angle iron for the engine mount I was ROBBED. $22 for 6ft of angle iron, and $11 for 4ft of flat stock....poo....still, it's worth getting good mount materials.

tomorrow I'll use what I have left to make the engine portion of the mount, and I'll connect it all with the door hinge I've been saving. There will not be a "clutch" on this like some people have but I am not mounting it solid so there is less stress on the shaft on bumps. I'll keep you all posted. Enjoy the pics!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You know it never occurred to me to convert the scooters to gasoline. The old e100s are being tossed all over the place around here when all that complicated stuff goes out on them. I bet if this works out you might end up with a product that has some craigs list value.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, that 500 is quite a machine compared to the E200 I got here !

kinda got a plan brewing to rig some kind of bent tri-brid.

Have fun!
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Awesome project! I'll be lookin closer at that old e-scooter in my basement. Might even try to mount my BGF Solex clone there. What did tou use for the fricton roller?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I took a bright shiny mongoose bike peg and I cut a ton of notches into it with a hack saw (it took a long time) and then I dulled it with 80 grit. I don't know about selling them, though I do like money. I don't have much time, and every project I make takes a lot of effort. I'm also of the doctrine "If ya can't make it yourself, you shouldn't be riding it" :D I think I just might finish it today, then maybe I can get a vid up of it running in my garage (rain rain and more rain :( )