briggs with weedeater carb

GoldenMotor.com

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
is it possible to put a weedeater carburettor (diaphragm) on a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine, because with the mowers carburettor leaks fuel if not upright. if not then can you buy all position carburettors for mowers?.
cvlt1

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes, can be done.
WW carb is probably smaller bore, so it won't rev up to what the stock carb will.
Also, you gonna need a fuel pump if the tank is more than a little below the carby.

Question... if you do not have the facility to make a welded intake at the angle you wish, why don't you use a flexible length of fuel/vapor rubber hose in the intake tract? Longer intake is better for bottom end through mid range rpm.

Good luck
rc

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Forget the weed wacker carb. Unless you will be happy with half a hp.
You need to look at the fuel inlet valve (sometimes called - needle and seat) of the carb to see if it is leaking- giving you a much higher fuel level in the carb bowl. OR if the float is set too high.
I have never seen a carb leak fuel from beiing tilted some, unless the gasket to the bowl is not sealing. Check out these things. Briggs made real good stuff.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I think the TILLOTSON-HL292 for the Stihl TS360 will work up to 5 HP quite well tetter than original in fact. We used to use them on the Briggs 3.5 and 5hp vertical shafts that had the pulse type carb mounted on the tank all of time and it is pretty easy to mod the valve cover breather assy and carb to route the pulse. Again though like others I suspect you have a needle and seat problem.

OH and it has a strong enough fuel pump Diaphragm to pull from 3' below the engine. No external pump needed.

Last edited:

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
i think i might use a diaphragm carb from a 50cc scooter, as i have one available, and they have the same hp as the briggs, i want to use a closed system carb for saftey. if fuel leaks on to the hot exhaust valve, god knows what could happen... cvlt1

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
the engine isn't really a briggs, it's identical to a briggs in every way, except that the internal parts have "made in japan" written on them, i can't find any information on it, but it runs well (it will run on 2 stroke,diesel, acetone, without any damage), the carb is simple though, its just a tube going to the fuel tank that draws fuel up, so if on its side, fuel just leaks straight through the tube out of the air intake, or into the inlet flooding the motor. it's probablly only a 2.5hp as it's only a 100cc

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Woah! Hit the brakes!
Are you planning on laying the engine on it's side and operating it?

Horizontal 4-stroke lawn mower engines and vertical 4-stroke lawn mower engines are designed differently inside and you cannot simply mount them up any which way you please and changing the plane of operation without first modifying the insides appropriately.

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
Woah! Hit the brakes!
Are you planning on laying the engine on it's side and operating it?

Horizontal 4-stroke lawn mower engines and vertical 4-stroke lawn mower engines are designed differently inside and you cannot simply mount them up any which way you please and changing the plane of operation without first modifying the insides appropriately.
no, not at all its a horizontal shaft engine, i just don't want fuel to leak if the bike falls on its side.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ok then. I was just checking for the safety's sake of your engine and you.
It would suck if it were to seize up due do lack of internal oil distribution (required modification) and you were to crash resulting from it.

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
propane might be best, if I had a propane tank like one of those lehr ones mounted on the handlebars, valve as throttle. no worries about leaking if on its side and propane is safer than petrol/gas

cvlt1