Pusher Trailer (new build)

GoldenMotor.com

ne2rk

Jul 31, 2010
chicago
I love the project. Keep it up. Ive built a electric and gas push trailer out of old scooters. its a great feeling being pushed on your favorite bicycle without the need of modifying your bike. Just bolt it on and ride too your destination and unmount it when ever you wanta go back too stock. :)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Zach,
The sheave is available on eBay...do a search for 'Whizzer Sheave'.
The gearing isn't low enough for the application I intended & I ended up selling that sheave to another member here. I'd recommend the Rim to Wheel DIY sheave that I posted a 'How To' on the other MB website.
-Lowracer-

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
After looking at these plans. I wonder if it would be better connecting to the axle. Pushing behind the rear of the seat seems like it would be hard to control when turning. Any thoughts or has anyone tried connecting lower?

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
After looking at these plans. I wonder if it would be better connecting to the axle. Pushing behind the rear of the seat seems like it would be hard to control when turning. Any thoughts or has anyone tried connecting lower?
Back to the old debate of axle mount versus seat post mount. Really, you can have an ill handling ride either way. The one big secret, and it's not rocket science, to a good handling pusher is simply keeping your center of gravity below the line between your rear wheel and hitch point. Seat post mount makes it naturally easier to accomplish this. With my pusher, I can lift it up with one finger under the u-joint and it will self balance without falling over. If your center of gravity is above that line, your trailer will immediately fall over on its side. Long story short, top heavy trailers create an unstable ride.

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
So a longer wheelbase will make it easier to keep the center of gravity below that line . right?

I guess the same would be true of all one wheel trailers. I've built a few trailers over the years but all of them have been two wheelers seat mounted. The geometry has always been a lil sketchy. Maybe after 20 years this would be a good time to make another run at it. :p

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
As far as a regular bike trailer, I picked up an aluminum 2 wheel bike trailer that is made/sold to haul 2 little kids. We altered it to haul misc stuff. You can not even feel it there. It follows great. It is mounted level with the center of the axle of the rear tire and trailer is about 8"-10" off the ground