help Exhaust silencer

GoldenMotor.com

blomie

Feb 10, 2010
australia, nsw
hey

I've recently built/ modified my mountain bike so i could attach a 49cc motor to it.

it friggen flies and does about 70km/h top speed.

ive come across a problem though my exhaust silencer has broken off right at the end of the expansion chamber.

i cant re-weld it back on for two reasons

1) the welds that originally held it on are on the inside and are impossible to get to one the silencer is on.

2) i would weld the out side of it onto the exhaust apart from the outside of the silencer is aluminum and the actual exhaust is steel.

does anyone have any ideas on how i could reattach this or make a new and better one as i ride around town on this and i need it to be QUIET!

thanks

Jake

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not sure quite what yer talkin' about w/o pics or a link to what type/brand pipe.

Is it possible/have you considered pop rivets? I only ask that as my SBP exhaust sys has an aluminum silencer & that's how it's made *shrug*

Another option I've seen a bunch is to use the stock muffler as a silencer - that could be welded on w/ease ;)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well... broken is broken lol, it'd be worth a shot if ya think it's even remotely possible - tho the stock kit muffler would be easiest to just weld on there.

Can you pull the aluminum off to get to stuff? Ya might be able to weld in a new length of steel pipe as an extension, put it back together - then weld the new bit of pipe to the expansion chamber? It'd be a bit longer... but again, w/o pics I'm swingin' wild here... tho I gotta say yer drawing is ossum FTW (^)

blomie

Feb 10, 2010
australia, nsw
yes that is a possibility the aluminum slides off and under that is fiberglass packing and inside the fiberglass there is the perforated tubing.

it is a possibility but i dont know how im going to go about making a backing plate for the sliencer lol

ill try to put up some pics in the morning sometime when i find a camera.

thanks for your help so far

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you should be able to take it apart and re weld then reassemble it.
You might even be able to make the perforated pipe out of thicker walled pipe. either slot it or drill. space the slots or holes farther down the pipe away from where it welds on.
the silencers on those pipes vibrate alot and makes them break off. see if you can make a nice looking hanger bracket to support the silencer.